Show overlay of reachable tracks for a train with no path

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Show overlay of reachable tracks for a train with no path

Post by mrvn »

TL;DR
When hovering over a train with "no path" show an overlay of all the rail pieces that it can reach similar to how hovering over other trains shows the planned path.
What ?
My suggestion is to use an overlay like the one used for showing the path of a train when hovering over it. But instead of showing the path show all the rail tiles the "no path" train can reach. Also helpful would be showing the reverse direction starting at the trains destination in a different color.

For the train map view it would also be nice to show the same information by coloring the rails. The world view only has a limited zoom and train networks are usually bigger than the visual area.
Why ?
Often when a train shows "no path" you have no idea why that is the case. Clearly you build train tracks going from A to Z. And you signaled it all correctly, right. Finding the place where there is some signaling error is hard and in such situation I mostly put the train on manual and drive it on the route I think it should take and switch it to automatic every now and then to see if it can now find a path. That leads to the place where the path finding gets blocked. But it's tedious.

mpgoodwin2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Show overlay of reachable tracks for a train with no path

Post by mpgoodwin2 »

This would indeed help debugging train systems. Likewise having a possibility to mouse over a train in the map view and seeing where it is trying to go (highlighting the available tracks and also showing the destination station)

I am struggeling to find out why two trains cannot switch places. There are plenty of signals they can go to on their (+1000 tile) travel and multiple available routes, but I cannot see where the problem may be.

Another solution would be to be to show debug info on a train beyond the border of the current view only if the player had boarded it. That is less information to have readily available.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”