[0.16.51] Missing "disable" option for latency hiding

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Windfisch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.51] Missing "disable" option for latency hiding

Post by Windfisch »

Hi,

there are mods (mostly those that set player.walking_state) where the latency hiding does more harm than good (see also). It would be great if there was a option in the game client settings to disable the latency hiding on this client altogether.

Especially in low-latency environments like local networks, the introduced latency is actually much less worse than the jumpyness in conjunction with walking_state.

Please do add that checkbox :)

Best regards,
Windfisch

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Missing "disable" option for latency hiding

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not sure you can just hide the latency hiding stuff, I'm fairly sure this is part of the bigger picture to let the independent deterministic simulations remain state synchronised.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Windfisch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Windfisch »

The latency hiding mechanism is usually a purely cosmetic graphical thing: In the cheapest implementation, you just trigger the animations and update the sprite positions based on your local input (but don't touch the simulation state), leading to latency-free walking, but noticeable lag when picking up, mining, doing anything that affects the simulation state. (Shooting ;))

The more sophisticated (and computationally expensiv) variant can pre-roll the game state based on the assumption that our extrapolation is correct, and revert the state once we discover our assumption has been wrong. But that throws away a lot of UPS just for latency hiding, I suspect this isn't the case here.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Latency hiding very visibly turns off as soon as you start shooting, or enter a car. Probably on entering trains too just that it's less obvious due to automatic driving.

I'd still prefer a solution that makes writing to walking_state universally feasible instead of some client-based per-player opt-in system. E.g. by autodisabling latency hiding as soon as walking_state is beeing written too. Shooting behavior in latency state demonstrates that the engine is infact very capable of turning hiding on/off instantly.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”