Map Preview enhancements prior to game start!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Map Preview enhancements prior to game start!

Post by npuldon »

It would be nice to NOT have to scroll to see the entire map preview. Having a zoom defaulted to the map preview generation would be a good start. Allowing players to set the preview size/zoom level via the preview panel or options menu (to set a default) would be even better.

Thanks for your consideration

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Map Preview enhancements prior to game start!

Post by Rseding91 »

You can set the size in the config file.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

Awesome. is there anyway to change the zoom at preview prior to game start? If not, would that be a big change on Wube's end?

Cheers

saaadel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by saaadel »

It would be handy if we could change the zoom even through the config — for those guys who take screenshots of the map in the preview dialog

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

It would also be nice if the game could run the on_chunk_generated hooks so things like the Resource Spawner Overhaul show an actual preview. At least optionally or via the mod setting a flag that it changes the map drastically.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:02 pm
It would also be nice if the game could run the on_chunk_generated hooks so things like the Resource Spawner Overhaul show an actual preview. At least optionally or via the mod setting a flag that it changes the map drastically.
If they would do this, then the idea of the zoom would be infinitely more useful (to me :lol: ). I like setting RSO to give me very spread out resources, so much so that at current I have to load into the game and then reveal a 4kx4k tile area just to make sure none of the resources were excluded in that range. Makes generating maps with additional mod added resources a pain, too....
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mrvn wrote:
I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the preview is showing. The preview does not make a game, it doesn't make a surface, it doesn't load mods at all. It's a pure preview of what map generation would apply when run with the given map generator settings in the GUI. It can't and never will show anything beyond that. If you need more than that; you can click "generate" to make the actual game and see what it shows there.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:56 am
mrvn wrote:
I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the preview is showing. The preview does not make a game, it doesn't make a surface, it doesn't load mods at all. It's a pure preview of what map generation would apply when run with the given map generator settings in the GUI. It can't and never will show anything beyond that. If you need more than that; you can click "generate" to make the actual game and see what it shows there.
Sure, I often do. And then restart and restart the game till I get a nice map. The map preview is simply pointless with mods that modify the map.

When I want to make a map preview to test modifications to a mod then having to do so manually via GUI is a lot slower than doing a preview from the command line. Even more so than picking a map for the game. If the mod modifies the elevation function you have to restart the game every time. So it would be nice to have a map preview with on_chunk_generated hooks, at least for the command line.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”