Read contents of splitter by circuit network

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

teenkertoy
Inserter
Inserter

Read contents of splitter by circuit network

Post by teenkertoy »

TL;DR
Please allow the real-time contents of a splitter to be read by circuit network.

What ?
This is not the same as another topic asking to control splitter priorities (yes I tried searching). I am more interested in reading the real-time contents of the splitter similar to reading contents of a belt.

Why ?
There are many clever ways to use the circuit network to control the contents of belts, but it relies on knowing the real-time contents of the belts. Sushi belts are a good example, specifically for lab research. Some of the techniques rely on splitters somewhere, and if their contents cannot be read by the circuit network then control is very difficult to achieve since there is a blind spot in the system that you are trying to control.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Read contents of splitter by circuit network

Post by Tekky »

The same problem also exists for underground belts, as they also cannot be connected to the circuit network. That way, both splitters and underground belts cause gaps if you are reading belt contents in hold mode. However, you can work around this problem by using pulse mode, as has been discussed in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49729 Underground Belts, Splitters & The Circuit Network

I'm not sure if it would be meaningful to read splitter contents by the network, because, in order for the information provided by the splitter to be useful, it would have to provide 3 separate signals:
  1. splitter belt contents before the split
  2. splitter belt contents that has been split left
  3. splitter belt contents that has been split right

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”