Sync Mods + Load Game as a single operation

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Sync Mods + Load Game as a single operation

Post by morsk »

TL;DR
"Load this game, with these mods," as a single operation.
What ?
Factorio knows how to start directly into a game. It just isn't being asked to. The --load-game command line option exists, and works. "Sync Mods" already replaces Factorio with a new process. It could simply pass arguments.

edit: "Load this game with whatever mods it wants. Really I don't care; just make it work," would be even better. Currently even the command line can't do this, but it would be super useful.
Why ?
The first wait screen is so long that I alt-tab or AFK it. Coming back to more menus and waiting is very annoying.

https://imgur.com/QOrkSfh
Last edited by morsk on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Sync Mods + Load Game as a single operation

Post by morsk »

I changed my mind. This feature would not solve the problem. I am going to create separate mod folders for every one of my worlds, and separate .bat files to launch directly to the world, using its own mods.

This will be faster than any in-game feature for reloading mods. Only a customized launcher could be better.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

+1 some official support wouldn't be too bad

morsk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 am
[...] I am going to create [...] separate .bat files to launch directly to the world, using its own mods.
[...] Only a customized launcher could be better.
If you throw enough effort at it batch can do menus too. :p
Last edited by eradicator on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

morsk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 am
I changed my mind. This feature would not solve the problem. I am going to create separate mod folders for every one of my worlds, and separate .bat files to launch directly to the world, using its own mods.

This will be faster than any in-game feature for reloading mods. Only a customized launcher could be better.
This is exactly what I do. It also separates mod settings files so they stick with the save instead of change automatically between games\ (a major annoyance of mine in heavy modded play)

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mods & Saves

Post by CJ5Boss »

I have a ton of mods installed, multiple saves with other people, and not all of them use the same mods...
My idea is to implement a button for each save that instantly toggles on all mods used on that save, and toggles off all mods not used, then restarts factorio to allow you to do this. Right now, it is very tedious to have to memorize which mods I used, toggle off the old ones and toggle on the ones I want, and reinstalling/deleting the mods is too much of a hassle to me.
Example:
I am doing a Bob/Angels save on my own.
I am doing a QoL mod save with my friend.

When I switch between the two, I don't want to toggle off all the BobsAngels and toggle on the ones I want, then vice versa when I switch back.
Would this button be possible?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same (or very similar) suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

There is a checkbox that allows to load the save after syncing that was added in 0.17.0. The checkbox is autochecked, which makes the whole thing one operation.

I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”