Steam age

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steam age

Post by Koub »

wartthog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:34 pm
Totally. Unless I misunderstood, this thread is discussing the idea of a new mod. We're not suggesting a change to vanilla.
The topic is in "Ideas and suggestions", not in "request for a mod" subforum. Plus the OP never talks of a mod, so I understand his suggestion is for vanilla.
@OP : if I'm wrong, please correct me, and I'll move the discussion into the appropriate subforum.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 pm
@OP : if I'm wrong, please correct me, and I'll move the discussion into the appropriate subforum.
If @OP wanted a mod my answers would be quite different. As a mod it could be awesome. In Vanilla, not so much
Oktokolo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:39 pm
wartthog wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 pm
The player could start by powering things manually using a tool and automate it using a steam engine.
There is a mod called Hand Crank, that adds a hand crank for generating small amounts of electrical energy. It might be possible to fork it for generators generating other energy types.
Don't be fooled by cheap fakes, only use the original Hand Crank Generator™! :mrgreen: (As far as i know that other guys thing requires constant player action, while mine is fully configurable regarding to how much time you want to spend cranking.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Koub wrote:
wartthog wrote:
Totally. Unless I misunderstood, this thread is discussing the idea of a new mod. We're not suggesting a change to vanilla.
The topic is in "Ideas and suggestions", not in "request for a mod" subforum. Plus the OP never talks of a mod, so I understand his suggestion is for vanilla.
My initial idea was about vanilla as I stated several times.
It might extend learning curve a bit but you will dive into all this anyways upon reaching electric power so why not to do it in the first place and probably delay electric age?
It is not that hard to make a boiler (insert tutorial here) and connect steam to entities using pipes. But that would really look like automation! And make overall perfect sense as well.

wartthog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wartthog »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:07 pm
Koub wrote:
wartthog wrote:
My initial idea was about vanilla as I stated several times.
I stand corrected! My apologies.

Oktokolo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:39 pm
wartthog wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 pm
The player could start by powering things manually using a tool and automate it using a steam engine.
There is a mod called Hand Crank...
Don't be fooled by cheap fakes, only use the original Hand Crank Generator™! :mrgreen: ...
[/quote]

Haha, thanks guys! Will check them out.

H_Sage
Inserter
Inserter

More steampunk

Post by H_Sage »

google translate

Before the electric age was the age of steam. Why not expand that 'steampunk' in the factorio?

For example, add an assembly machine that produces simple basic components. For example, gears, wires or boards. It works on steam or coal. This will allow to establish basic automation before switching to electricity.
It is also possible to allow standard assembly machines and labs to work on a steam. In order to switch to electricity, it is necessary to research generators and other electrical devices. I think it fits well with the atmosphere of the game.
Mining carts will also look good in this phase of the game. (About carts: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63576 )

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same/similar suggestion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”