Homesteading

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Partizan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Homesteading

Post by Partizan »

While I like the game (a lot), I have a thought that might make the game...I dunno. More...something. Possibly more unique, or possibly not.

Is it possible to create a mode where you are, in effect, simply homesteading the planet--that is, you set down on the planet, you have a working shuttle beacon for when ships come in-system, and some cash, and you are trying to build the planet into your own homestead. There might or might not be any kind of victory in such a scenario, but if there is, it would most likely not simply be building a spaceship to blast into space.

In order to keep your planet, you have to pay taxes, and, possibly, loan payments. Both of these require money, and while you start out with a little money, getting more will require you to sell things, which means that you will have to store goods, and sell them to passing ships (and possibly eventually build your own ships, and send them out). The more advanced the item, and the more total time required for its production, the better it sells, and the more money you get...but the more production capacity you have, the more your taxes go up. Just to make things even more complicated, the frontiers of explored/settled space tend to be a bit lawless, so even once you've convinced the local wildlife to leave you alone, you still have to worry about the occasional raid by pirates, who are looking for ready cash, and, in some instances, trade goods. Fending them off is possible, but given that defenses and military buildings increase value without producing anything, is it necessarily worth the cost?

Of course, the more loot the pirates make off with, and the less resistance they face, the more likely pirate attacks become, meaning that there will always be a line between "too vulnerable" and "too well-defended", and that where that line lies will have to be decided by each player. And once you start to get a truly complex and advanced factory built, one that can build spaceships, you can start to build your own commercial empire, maybe one day becoming rich enough to challenge even the wealthiest of individuals, with a merchant empire that stretches the stars, and produces absolutely everything an interstellar civilization could possibly need.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Homesteading

Post by Koub »

This would make a good scenario, but I don't see this replace vanilla.
As a side note, I think there are mods that does at least part of what you describe ... if I understand what you are suggesting.
Such as :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BlackMarket
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”