Comments on Deciders, possibly other entities

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Comments on Deciders, possibly other entities

Post by AngledLuffa »

By which I mean, literally comments. For example, I have a decider which only implements loading of a particular item if the right train comes to the base. Come back later to see that I have a decider set to check T = 673, which doesn't tell me which train it is. If I could leave a comment on the decider saying "Green bottle train" that would save me some time tracking down the train and figuring out which train it was I had chosen all those hours ago.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Comments on Deciders, possibly other entities

Post by Koub »

Hi,

Today, comments are left the painful way, through signals you can read on Alt-view.
Hopefully this can help until what you have suggested is implemented (if the devs choose to) :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

Would you mind clarifying a bit? Unless I misunderstand, the signals are just a channel and a number, so not really enough to say what it is.

Although in the specific case of the green bottle train I could leave a signal for green bottles, for example. So while that doesn't solve the general case, it does solve this particular use case quite nicely. Thanks!

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

I agree with the proposal. I am writing a similar proposal myself (though I would also like colour selection like with trains).

While I was searching for related work, I found some examples of current practices. The signal labeling that Koub refers to can be seen here:
https://github.com/justarandomgeek/fact ... /Readme.md

Look for the constant combinators.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I am against the possibility of leaving comments on individual combinators.

However, I am strongly in favor of the possibility of placing signposts with notes next to entire combinator setups. When you click that signpost, it will display a message left behind by the person who created the combinator setup. This is important for multiplayer, if you want to have several people working on combinator setups.

These signposts would also be useful for other purposes.
AngledLuffa wrote:Would you mind clarifying a bit? Unless I misunderstand, the signals are just a channel and a number, so not really enough to say what it is.
I guess he is referring to the possibility of placing several combinators next to each other and set each of these combinators to a different letter, so that a word is displayed when you press the ALT key.

However, this will only work if you have the interface setting "show combinator settings in "alt-mode"" active.

Constant Combinators are best for this purpose, because they only have a size of 1x1 (one tile), whereas all other combinators have a size of 2x1 (two tiles).

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

Tekky wrote:I am against the possibility of leaving comments on individual combinators.

However, I am strongly in favor of the possibility of placing signposts with notes next to entire combinator setups. When you click that signpost, it will display a message left behind by the person who created the combinator setup. This is important for multiplayer, if you want to have several people working on combinator setups.

These signposts would also be useful for other purposes.
It is certainly a more general solution, that I agree with. However, sometimes you want to document specific parts of a combinator setup. I.e. name the individual components as well as the name the whole. For signs the scope of what they apply to is less clearly defined, for a named combinator this is instantly clear. We are however, nitpicking at this point. Some mechanism for attaching labels is needed.

The reason why I also would like to see colouring is that with some proper colour coding discipline you can see the functions from a distance at a glance. Though it is considerably more work to add.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Commenting combinators

Post by Pi-C »

I'm still on my first real game of Factorio (discounting two attempts I broke off after a while), and I'm having quite some fun with combinators. Though I have accomplished some things with them I never thought I'd ever be able to when I started out, I still consider myself rather an advanced beginner than an expert in circuit logic.

I suppose that I'm still not using combinators too effectively, using way too many of them where others would probably achieve the same result with just a few. Consequently, I often find myself in a position where the whole area is already covered with combinators, but then I have an idea and squeeze in yet another combinator here or there, have to place power poles to hook them up to a signal sent by a combinator far away, and have a lot of spaghetti wire. While I'm at it, I know what I want to do, why I made a certain connection or why I set up a particular combinator in a particular way. However, if I get back there some days later everything is just a big mess (following the flow of a signal can be quite tedious if you have lots of wire going this way or that -- especially if it's not easy to discern whether a wire connects to a power pole or any of the combinators in the vicinity). So I think it would be great if there was a basic way to comment combinator code.

I have seen text plates or signs being used for commenting stuff in tutorial videos. However, these seem to come from mods, not the vanilla game. Moreover, placing an additional sign right in the centre of a bunch of combinators may not be ideal (What combinator does the sign refer to, is the text readable or does it just enhance the chaos?). So my idea is to allow user comments directly in the combinators, accessible through left click, the same place where you define input and/or output. It would already be helpful if you could put down what a particular variable/virtual signal is supposed to mean: Does "C" stand for "Clock", for "Cargo", or for "Closed"? Is "O" a placeholder for "Open [rail signal]", "On" or "Off"? Have you used "T" for "Time", or is it the ID of a train? Personally, I've already used "C" and "O" with all these meanings, so I roughly know what they could mean. Perhaps I'll copy a blueprint from somebody who uses the same signals for a completely different meaning. It would be so much easier to understand the code if you knew what it was about.

My suggestion: If a virtual signal is used, pop up a field where the user can spell out what that signal should signify (like "Enable condition" for inserters or "Closed condition" for rail signals). Optionally, there could also be a text field for additional information like "Don't remove -- isolates networks!" or something similar (could work like naming blueprints). The comments would be shown only if you left-click a combinator, so I guess it would appear rather unobtrusive: You only get to see this information if you care about it; it would be there but you don't need to see it if you're just interested in putting down some blueprints somebody posted in a forum.

What do you think? Does my idea make any sense? Could it be implemented at all, or would it take up too much memory to store that additional information?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Commenting combinators

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Ideas and Suggestions.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Good idea!

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

What about just allowing combinators to be named, like train stations?

That should give you space for the comment, as well as appearing when hovered over, and should be easy to accomplish as entity naming is already possible.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Related threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56214 Comments on Deciders, possibly other entities
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62279 Combinators information
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58685 Signs

EDIT: Some of these links are no longer valid, as the threads have been merged.
Last edited by Tekky on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

ikarikeiji wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 am

That should give you space for the comment, as well as appearing when hovered over, and should be easy to accomplish as entity naming is already possible.
Sounds like a good idea -- until you think of the mess this would result in in map mode. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Tekky wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:03 pm
Related threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56214 Comments on Deciders, possibly other entities
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62279 Combinators information
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58685 Signs
Oh, geez -- I *have* looked for "comment" in the forum search, but I didn't find these threads. Well, with a search term like that, in an environment with modders who not only write but also out-comment code, it had to be expected that relevant finds would just drown in the endless sea of irrelevant search results. :-)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Pi-C wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:37 pm
Oh, geez -- I *have* looked for "comment" in the forum search, but I didn't find these threads.
I am also unable to find the first thread in my list (the most important one) when searching for "comment", despite the thread containing exactly that word in its original post. Maybe it is a forum bug?

Google search may be a better alternative in that you can use it and limit your searches to the "forums.factorio.com" domain (by adding "site:forums.factorio.com" to the search query). Unfortunately, however, you cannot search individual sub-forums with Google search. For example, you cannot limit your search to the "Ideas and Suggestions" sub-forum. This is only possible with the forum's search feature.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Pi-C wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm
ikarikeiji wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 am

Sounds like a good idea -- until you think of the mess this would result in in map mode. :-)
Well, of course, the names wouldn't be shown on the map. Just the ability to name them in the first place would be transferred.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Tekky wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:03 pm