insert overflow parts into chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: insert overflow parts into chest

Post by DRY411S »

Hannu wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 am
I agree. Item spilling is stupid and annoying thing which have no positive value to game.

There should be at least an option that if inventory size decreases or stop to exist for whatever reason all the overflowing stuff would just disappear. Exactly like liquid tanks behave. I personally do not see any value to keep huge amounts of spilled items and would make disappearing as default behavior, but I know that many player are extremely miserly and use whole day to save single iron plate in their megabase, so maybe an option could be realistic hope.
I'd hate that option. My MK2 spills have occurred by bad clicking on my part. I'd hate to be penalised for that by losing stuff.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 pm
I think there is no "stack" item, so I don't see how such stacks could end up on the ground. If they did exist, the 100+ page bots/belts flamewars would probably never have happened.
Item-on-ground contains a standard LuaItemStack, and thus supports item count. It doesn't look different ofc, same as stacks don't look different from single items in your inventory. But as long as the base game doesn't create them by itself it's not UPS-feasible to use them in lua on a large scale.

Code: Select all

/c local p = game.player p.surface.create_entity{name='item-on-ground',position=p.position,stack={name = 'copper-plate',count = 50}}
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

There are 3 possible ways to handle inventory overflow:
  1. prevent removal
    we see this currently with chests that refuse to be mined if they cant transfer all inventory to the player
  2. spill contents
    current behavior when removing power armor results in player inventories becoming too small to hold everything
  3. delete contents
    luckily we don't have this anywhere
Having both 1 and 2 currently in the game is odd. Why does one inventory overflow result in spills and the other does not?
There should be an option to switch between safe mode (prevent mining if it'd result in overflow) and masochist mode (overflow always causes spilling). I'd love to see the spill mining big warehouse produces. :twisted:

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

DRY411S wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm
I'd hate that option. My MK2 spills have occurred by bad clicking on my part. I'd hate to be penalised for that by losing stuff.
I understand that probably most players think like you. Therefore I suggested an option. However, for me it is much bigger penalty and annoyance to clean stuff than lose it. Factorio has infinite world with infinite resources and infrastructure stuff I have in my inventory is practically almost free from any point of view (amount of resources, game time needed in fabrication, real time and labor needed from player (which are for me always the most precious resources) etc.) compared to resource flows in science production. Large base product replacement stuff in few minutes. I use void chests to clean my inventory fast and do not care if I dump sometimes produced entities. There are hundreds of item types in modded games and I build railworlds so I do not bother to make logistic circulations for all stuff.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Why do items have to be spilled/deleted at all when taking off armor? Simply keep the stacks where they are. As long as you don't have armor you can't access them, and when you put your armor back on they're in the same spot they were before. (And before someone calls "unrealistic!": The whole inventory system is one huge blob of imagination. Nobody "accidentially" drops 500 tin cans when they take off their jacket at home.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:53 am
Why do items have to be spilled/deleted at all when taking off armor? Simply keep the stacks where they are.
It would also be a good idea. However, competitive players may no like possibility to use trick to carry huge amounts of stuff. In my opinion, if someone bother to build many armors, load and nest them, he deserves it.
Nobody "accidentially" drops 500 tin cans when they take off their jacket at home.)
"Normal" people do not. However, I am not sure about those who carry oil refineries, nuclear reactors and diesel locomotives in their pockets.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Hannu wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:37 am
eradicator wrote:
Why do items have to be spilled/deleted at all when taking off armor? Simply keep the stacks where they are.
It would also be a good idea. However, competitive players may no like possibility to use trick to carry huge amounts of stuff. In my opinion, if someone bother to build many armors, load and nest them, he deserves it.
You misunderstand, i wasn't suggesting the items are "stored in the armor". They should still be on the player, just inaccessible. Any armor would give you access to the same slots. No implications on competitive play because multiple armors don't get you anything that a single armor wouldn't get you too.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 am
You misunderstand, i wasn't suggesting the items are "stored in the armor". They should still be on the player, just inaccessible. Any armor would give you access to the same slots. No implications on competitive play because multiple armors don't get you anything that a single armor wouldn't get you too.
OK. I understand now. This seems to be very good idea. At least I do not see any flaws in short thinking.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

eradicator wrote:
Why do items have to be spilled/deleted at all when taking off armor? Simply keep the stacks where they are. As long as you don't have armor you can't access them, and when you put your armor back on they're in the same spot they were before. (And before someone calls "unrealistic!": The whole inventory system is one huge blob of imagination. Nobody "accidentially" drops 500 tin cans when they take off their jacket at home.)
Which stacks would be inaccessible? If default sort order is being used, and it's the last items in your inventory, it's going to be military stuff, which may not be desirable. This would probably include the armor you just removed!

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

eradicator wrote:
Why do items have to be spilled/deleted at all when taking off armor? Simply keep the stacks where they are. As long as you don't have armor you can't access them, and when you put your armor back on they're in the same spot they were before.
Hannu wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:37 am
It would also be a good idea. However, competitive players may no like possibility to use trick to carry huge amounts of stuff.
DRY411S wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 am
Which stacks would be inaccessible?
Let it all accessible. Just forbid to move overloaded.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

I like both of the last suggestions. Making your overcapacity inventory inaccessible (with some basic protection to make sure that the armor you just took off can still be accessed to be put back on) or just preventing you from moving while overcapacity would be a sufficient penalty to prevent any real abuse I think, and would entirely prevent issues with having to cleanup after an accidental armor removal.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

DRY411S wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 am
eradicator wrote:
Which stacks would be inaccessible? If default sort order is being used, and it's the last items in your inventory, it's going to be military stuff, which may not be desirable. This would probably include the armor you just removed!
The "bottom" stacks would be inaccessible, yea. But why are you taking off your armor in combat :D. I tried just now and you can't actually take off your armor in a way that puts it into the slots that itself provides. If you take it off with the mouse you have it on the cursor, and if you try to take it off with shift+left-click it won't work if your inventory is too full. Idiotically if you have a full inventory and then shift+left-click on the armor it will currently spill the stuff in the armor-provided inventory slots onto the ground without actually taking off the armor.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Optera wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 am
I'd love to see the spill mining big warehouse produces. :twisted:
Related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49997 how to poop iron

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two topics about removing armor resulting in item spill.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”