Circuits: enhancing rail signal function

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Circuits: enhancing rail signal function

Post by Factoruser »

There might be a distinct train signal, sent by each train, containing the train ID. This signal should be also gained by rail signals, not just stations. It is returned for the (first) train that is currently in the "block" where the rail signal is the/one exit.

Alternatively rail signals should have the same option as train stations, i.e. setting a signal like the default T to the train's ID.

The use would simply be to detect whether any train is in a block as needed for railway crossings. The yellow signal isn't reliable for example.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Circuits: enhancing rail signal function

Post by Tekky »

I have suggested this myself one year ago in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47541 track signals should send Train-ID to circuit network

xZippy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xZippy »

Sounds like a good idea.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Factoruser wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:46 pm
There might be a distinct train signal, sent by each train, containing the train ID. This signal should be also gained by rail signals, not just stations. It is returned for the (first) train that is currently in the "block" where the rail signal is the/one exit.

Alternatively rail signals should have the same option as train stations, i.e. setting a signal like the default T to the train's ID.
+1 though I'd suggest a signal outputs the ID of the train that has reserved it (if orange) or of the train that is in the next block (if red).
The use would simply be to detect whether any train is in a block as needed for railway crossings. The yellow signal isn't reliable for example.
Actually the colour signals ARE reliable. However, checking for orange is what's misleading you. You should always use the lack of a green signal to indicate that the block has a train in it, not the presence of an orange or red signal.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

ikarikeiji wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:56 pm
+1 though I'd suggest a signal outputs the ID of the train that has reserved it (if orange) or of the train that is in the next block (if red).
It should only send a signal of a train in the rail signal's block.
Actually the colour signals ARE reliable. However, checking for orange is what's misleading you. You should always use the lack of a green signal to indicate that the block has a train in it, not the presence of an orange or red signal.
This doesn't work either. If you set a rail signal to red, you don't get a green signal from it anymore, no matter, whether the block is free. You could place a blind rail and signal for checking, but this does not fulfil my aesthetic demands...

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Factoruser wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 pm
ikarikeiji wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:56 pm
It should only send a signal of a train in the rail signal's block.
Why?

Orange and red both reserve the block and prevent other trains entering it. Surely you would want the train ID to be consistently reported?
This doesn't work either. If you set a rail signal to red, you don't get a green signal from it anymore, no matter, whether the block is free. You could place a blind rail and signal for checking, but this does not fulfil my aesthetic demands...
Really?

I would have thought that signals outputted green even if displaying red, if the red was set only by circuit signal.

If a signal set red only by circuit signal really outputs a red signal back onto the circuit network, I would suggest this is changed as that's really not a useful behaviour.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

ikarikeiji wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:59 pm
If a signal set red only by circuit signal really outputs a red signal back onto the circuit network, I would suggest this is changed as that's really not a useful behaviour.
A signal blocked by circuit condition outputs nothing.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”