Clock combinator

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Quizatzhaderac
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Clock combinator

Post by Quizatzhaderac »

Clock combinator
A timing and counting combinator to more simply implement time based logic.

What ?
A combinator with three modes. All three modes accept a duration parameter (measured in ticks) with a minimum value of one.

Delay mode
input is relayed, unaltered, after a delay of x ticks. Any of the specific signals can be chosen to be broadcast or the each signal.
output(duration) = input(0)

Summation mode
input over a period of x ticks is summed and outputted
output(x) = sigma(0,x-1,input(i))

Alert mode
Alert mode
Broadcasts a set output once every x ticks
Why ?
Three modes in one to reduce the number of entities.

Delay mode
This is important basic element of circuit design, and can be accomplished with the sophisticated technology know as "a really long wire".
Currently requires a series of x combinators.

Summation mode
This is pretty useful, especially if one wants to use pulse reads on anything. Enables logic like "I've read 10 SP3 on my belt in the last 10 seconds"

This one isn't too involved to do right now, but it would be nice to make counting easier for people that don't know what a latch is.

Alert mode
Could be used to set in game alarms (night is coming!) , synch up processes, or perform periodic checks.

Not too hard to do right now.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Clock combinator

Post by Tekky »

I agree that circuit networks can be overwhelming for most casual players and that it could be useful to have simpler "dumbed down" combinators.

In my opinion, having logic gates such as such as AND, OR, XOR, NAND would be most important. The "clock" combinators you described could also be useful.

As an experienced player, I personally have no need for "dumbed down" versions of combinators. The only reasons I would ever use them is if they saved space or offered better performance (UPS).

Casual players, on the other hand, may find it a lot easier to use the "dumbed down" versions of combinators.

However, the most important thing is, in my opinion, that there is a proper tutorial for learning the circuit network and combinators. This has been suggested in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40703 Circuit Education

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sometimes I forget that nobody told me anything about what an OR, AND, XOR, NOT etc was until I was in college doing electronics. and probably actually first encountered it in programming class, as Digital was in semester 2.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Quizatzhaderac
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Quizatzhaderac »

Tekky wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:07 pm
In my opinion, having logic gates such as such as AND, OR, XOR, NAND would be most important.
? AND, OR, and XOR are already part of the arithmetic combinator, you just have to normalize all true to 1 and all false to zero first (which is easy if the inputs are coming from decider combinators)

You can also use "!=" in the decider combinator as "XOR" if you've normalized the inputs to booleans.

I think you're exactly right that for most players a good tutorial is the most important thing.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

As I told here the circuit system needs much improvement. Just like this logic gate thing - you need 2 decider combinators that are creating a simple "true" signal each, which could be then logically combined with the arithmetic combinator. 3 elements and many wires just for that simple task. This MUST be replaced with a new all-in-one-combinator with 2 input connectors and 2 output connectors. The only question is whether this combinator should be a graphical grid like a circuit diagram or use a simple programming language. Timing stuff could be done with a new special signal "clock", being a tick or second counter from game starting on, only available inside combinators.

AnthonyForPOTUS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AnthonyForPOTUS »

Can all be easily done with circuit networks. An arithmetic combinator. Wire its input to its output. Settings are Green Plus 1 Output Green.

This will count up at 30 ticks per second.

To have something trigger every e.g. 10 seconds. Add an arithmetic combinator wire its input to the above clocks output. Wire its output to the device to be triggered. Settings are GREEN % 300 Output GREEN. The device to be triggered shodu have activate condition set to GREEN = 0. Now every 300 ticks (10 seconds) the device will activate.

Note that low power conditions will make the counter count slower.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”