Turret logistics technology

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Omnix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Turret logistics technology

Post by Omnix »

TL;DR
Researchable technology for logistic turret system e.g logistic robots provide turrets with ammo
What ?
I'd like to propose an idea for a technology that would enable all turrets using ammo (including artillery at a certain stage)
to have logistic slots for ammo so logistic robots could provide it. That would make usage of conventional turrets more viable
at mid game stage rather than just rushing laser turrets immidietelly. Also it would make usage of turrets more comfortable without
the need for long ammo belts surrounding your entire factory.
Why ?
As stated above, more comfortable, more attractive to use turrets mid/late game. It can be substituted with logistic chests and inserters
but its more tedious. To counter that, the technology could be quite expensive (250x red+green+blue SP) so its not instantly deleting belt/chest strat.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Turret logistics technology

Post by steinio »

Omnix wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 am
It can be substituted with logistic chests and inserters

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Omnix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Omnix »

That is why i'm suggesting an alternative not a replacement. To use that would be a metter of choice not a necessity. Because for now i see only 2 tedious ways to manage things (belts and logic chests). Belts require building very extensive networks for big bases and logistic chests force you to either use a frontline with 1 logistic chest per 3 or maximum 5 turrets or to make a system of round "forts" with a chest in the middle to support more turrets around.

At this moment i personally would just transition straight into laser turrets rather than use any of the above methods. But by going this way i choose to ignore late game uranium bullets which are quite good in comparison to lasers. Having drones deliver ammo straight to turrets would open up an alternative for lazy people like myself.

Both methods place a restriction on the player in the design of their defence and i feel like when your progressing through the stages of technology there should be less and less restrictions on what you can do and make. It would be nice to have a slick way to manage defence halfway through the game. Also it would be a costly technology. And it isn't anything immersion breaking either. I'd imagine drones delivering ammo for turrets even in real world situations.

Also i've put a counter argument to that quote in my first post so it's a bit impolite to put that out of context.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

It has been stated multiple times that Factorio is a game where you make complex things using basic elements.
Devs will most likely never integrate functions available by existing means into stuff to simplify it as it goes against the game's purpose.
Your suggestion in particular brings nothing new into the game so it is generally pointless and can be implemented by modding if you wish.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Omnix wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:49 pm
That is why i'm suggesting an alternative not a replacement. To use that would be a metter of choice not a necessity. Because for now i see only 2 tedious ways to manage things (belts and logic chests). Belts require building very extensive networks for big bases and logistic chests force you to either use a frontline with 1 logistic chest per 3 or maximum 5 turrets or to make a system of round "forts" with a chest in the middle to support more turrets around.
There is practically no difference in tediousness between blueprint with turrets and blueprint with turrets, chests, inserters and powerpoles. In practice I add lights, roboports and walls too and minimize my work. I can enclose huge areas in reasonable time and work. Walls take most robot work so that it is the same if there are some extra stuff with turrets.

Fortunately there seems to be a mod to make exactly what you want.
At this moment i personally would just transition straight into laser turrets rather than use any of the above methods. But by going this way i choose to ignore late game uranium bullets which are quite good in comparison to lasers. Having drones deliver ammo straight to turrets would open up an alternative for lazy people like myself.
Bots are not lazy. It is more rewarding to get complex stuff with one mouse click instead of simple.

Frenzier
Inserter
Inserter

How to get logistic robots to resupply turrets?

Post by Frenzier »

Is there a way to get robots to supply ammo to turrets without the use of belts/chests/inserters? Maybe a mod? Would it be too OP? It just feels like such a feature should be there.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Move-Merged into older suggestion topic right about the same issue.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

I seem to recall having ran into another topic requesting the ability of something to directly make requests from the logistics network but can't find it now... I feel like the most reasonable solution would be a logistics module, that will cause a building to request stocking from a logistics network... but that would then also require a lot of buildings that don't currently support modules to support them. I honestly still like the idea of logistics modules, but I'm not certain that it's something that I think is important enough to be worried about honestly.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”