AI Players, randomly generated ruins

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Johnny8Bob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

AI Players, randomly generated ruins

Post by Johnny8Bob »

In essence, I think there should be small outposts ran by AI players that compete for resources.

They would be small, but they would slowly grow (in need of balancing, but the idea is fun), and over time they start using their resources to claim other resources and expand their borders and whatnot. They fight to protect their borders and can die by us or the locals, leaving the ruins of their factory behind. Conquering these bases yield whatever resources and factories they own.

I think that machine ownership should affect how easily you can dismantle the machines itself. For instance, if an AI owns a factory, the amount of time taken to scavenge machines should take long enough that it dissuades theft (and farming AI machines), but still being possible to make them less as much of an annoyance. If the AI should die, then all of their factories will be owned by none/yourself.

In addition, there could be older factories left behind as ruins for you to claim as your own.

Cons:
Performance issues with multiple expanding bases
Getting pinned in by rampant AIs / Balancing issues with difficulty
Removes the atmosphere of solitude in the game.
It is hard to explain why there are other people on this planet, using the same factory technology as yourself. (Or maybe that is how you discovered technology..?)

Final notes...
This idea is mostly interesting, and could result in more issues than anything else, but I think competition would add a neat experience to the game. I thought it would be fun to have more dynamic foes, rather than just alien bugs chewing up my wall. I think having steampunk siege weaponry would be neat, and would create a new combat mechanic to consider when building your base.

Thanks for reading!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: AI Players, randomly generated ruins

Post by bobingabout »

The problem with AI players is that someone has to define how they behave.

I see it unlikely that an "AI player" would exist beyond a god entity type player. look for grey goo project that someone did, it includes a self expanding base.

This is actually something I'd be interested in playing with myself (making a self expanding base thinggy)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: AI Players, randomly generated ruins

Post by Jap2.0 »

bobingabout wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 am
The problem with AI players is that someone has to define how they behave.

I see it unlikely that an "AI player" would exist beyond a god entity type player. look for grey goo project that someone did, it includes a self expanding base.

This is actually something I'd be interested in playing with myself (making a self expanding base thinggy)
Ugh, still no recursive blueprints in vanilla. :x
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”