Cliff explosives should undo placed landfill destroy ores

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Cliff explosives should undo placed landfill destroy ores

Post by imTheSupremeOne »

TL;DR
Change cliff explosion to something like a Terrain Explosion that will also destroy ore patches , remove dead corpses and spawners... and great potential use in future.
What ?
TL;DR probably is very self explainable... But if you wander:
- Somethimes you just need to destroy that little stone ore patch for aesthetic purposes of your base;
- If you are not planning to make corpses "rot" by itself, explosion can be a fun idea for this;
- can be somehow used in future. (For example changing look of terrain, biome...)
Last edited by imTheSupremeOne on Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: From cliff explosives to removing ores and removing placed landfill

Upd from new year)): you can also make that it's removing placed landfill. Vanilla Factorio really lack this feature to at least correct your mistakes with placed landfill.

It's also would make single-purposed item much more interesting.

Kirk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kirk »

Came here to suggest allowing the use of Cliff Explosives (possibly renamed to something like Explosive Charge) to destroy my mortal enemies, the rocks :evil:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In a multiplyer-game a reason for abuse.

PS: wander => wonder :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Kirk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kirk »

I guess for ore, yeah... but I personally only care about quickly ending the presence of my mortal enemies.

rock.jpg
rock.jpg (94.13 KiB) Viewed 5400 times

PS: Multiplyer => Multiplayer :)

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Cliff explosives should undo placed landfill destroy ores

Post by planetmaker »

Removing land in general is an incredibly powerful defencive tool.

Removing landfill, thus land which has been player-placed, falls in the same category, even when it is not as dramatic. Still it opens easy-peasy defence build-up around a lake: build a street to the other side, build poles, maybe underground belts and roboports, and setup a defence + arty outpost at the other side. Then remove the landbridge again and leave the outpost robo-supplied. You'd never have been able to get such advanced outpost without hacking through loads of biters when going around.

While I also wish sometimes there to be a way to correct mistakes with landfill, I do believe that adding that option is a serious balancing issue and would reduce difficulty a lot. As such... use /editor in console and re-add water where you need, then switch back to normal play by /editor again. You loose the possibility to gain further achievements on that map... but I only need that when I got all achievements I want :)

I totally don't get the need to remove ores via explosvives in normal game... that's an editor option, too, though.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

This would get more people unhappy (about lost resources) than happy (that you can get rid of ore patch).

If you dislike resource patches you may fairly easy to mine them out.

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

planetmaker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:01 am
Removing landfill, thus land which has been player-placed, falls in the same category, even when it is not as dramatic. Still it opens easy-peasy defence build-up around a lake: build a street to the other side, build poles, maybe underground belts and roboports, and setup a defence + arty outpost at the other side. Then remove the landbridge again and leave the outpost robo-supplied. You'd never have been able to get such advanced outpost without hacking through loads of biters when going around.
You can already do that though. You can have bots place landfill in water with no connection to land.

You are only limited by roboport range. If you have 9 personal roboports equipped, the range is 120x120 - although that's probably overkill when the 110x110 of a regular roboport (about 53 tile reach) should be more than sufficient - and you can always extend that range if you build a roboport at exactly 50 tiles away.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

planetmaker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:01 am
Removing land in general is an incredibly powerful defencive tool.

While I also wish sometimes there to be a way to correct mistakes with landfill, I do believe that adding that option is a serious balancing issue and would reduce difficulty a lot. As such... use /editor in console and re-add water where you need, then switch back to normal play by /editor again. You loose the possibility to gain further achievements on that map... but I only need that when I got all achievements I want :)

I totally don't get the need to remove ores via explosvives in normal game... that's an editor option, too, though.
In vanilla, either default or deathworld standart preset biters are actually not that big of a thread... And even if you do that now, without removing landfill you still could place an unpenetrable defence since you could build a defence all around that small path the range 16-24 (more than Behemoth spitter can spit), and more than 180* defence of turrets firing all at once in the entering point of your your part. This should melt anything.
Last edited by imTheSupremeOne on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

fiery_salmon wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 am
This would get more people unhappy (about lost resources) than happy (that you can get rid of ore patch).

The lost of resources in for the most things kinda ok, if there will be situation where cliff is over ore patch, but you can just find more...

And I dislike ore patches on my road to walk to remove ore patch with miners you would need to setup mining on your base which is likely to interfere with already built factories and factories that you want to build for quite some time, even if you are doing it in quick way by chesting ore and destroying chests.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:58 pm
fiery_salmon wrote:

The lost of resources in for the most things kinda ok, if there will be situation where cliff is over ore patch, but you can just find more...

And I dislike ore patches on my road to walk to remove ore patch with miners you would need to setup mining on your base which is likely to interfere with already built factories and factories that you want to build for quite some time, even if you are doing it in quick way by chesting ore and destroying chests.
But there is a solution: just mine it to chests and destroy those. Exploding them by means of cliff explosives would be very very bad and cause for much grief, both in single-player and multi-player. People would constantly destroy ore by accident, trying to mine the complete patch. Then they make space for miners - and the patch is gone. "You can simply find new ones" is also a very relative term... maybe if you play on easy settings with a rich world, it's no issue. It definitely takes time to make new patches usable.

An OCD can be satisfied by a simple mod which modifies cliff explosives or by using the map editor. For general gameplay it'd be a bad solution, causing harm and solving no problem.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

planetmaker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:20 pm
imTheSupremeOne wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:58 pm
fiery_salmon wrote:

But there is a solution: just mine it to chests and destroy those. Exploding them by means of cliff explosives would be very very bad and cause for much grief, both in single-player and multi-player. People would constantly destroy ore by accident, trying to mine the complete patch. Then they make space for miners - and the patch is gone. "You can simply find new ones" is also a very relative term... maybe if you play on easy settings with a rich world, it's no issue. It definitely takes time to make new patches usable.

An OCD can be satisfied by a simple mod which modifies cliff explosives or by using the map editor. For general gameplay it'd be a bad solution, causing harm and solving no problem.
I see this as an opportunity for griefing for mulitplayer, but it can probably be fixed with some flags... As for singleplayer, I don't think that there will be that great of a loss... I mean, one explosive shouldn't destroy all path, just a small radius... For ores it even can be smaller than the range that explosive clear cliffs.

winkbrace
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by winkbrace »

I like this idea!

It doesn't require a new item or new recipe and makes a very niche item more useful.
We've all had to build over an ore patch one time while our heart bled. And undoing a misplaced landfill would be an awesome feature too.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

No thank you.

Clearing corpses I like, but I use cliffs a lot in positioning defense, which means corpses tend to pile up on cliffs. I don't want to destroy cliffs when I go to clear corpses.

And what do you all play with rich resources? With these newest versions of the game I never have patches of any resource I didn't want to mine.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”