Search Labels in Mini-Map

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

garmian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Search Labels in Mini-Map

Post by garmian »

TL;DR
Provide Ctrl+F search to highlight matching labels (icon or text) in the mini-map view.
What ?
The user opens the mini-map, sees a map full of markers and labels but doesn't know where to find the engines, hits Ctrl+F, searches for the engine image (same selector as for creating an image label), then the engine icons on the map are highlighted with a glowing border to make them easy to find.

Bonus: consider a separate visualization for a heatmap of any selected entity type, for example find all places in the factory where red circuits are concentrated.
Why ?
In modded multi-player megafactories, the minimap becomes huge and cluttered with hundreds of icons and labels and no one person knows where everything is. A player can spend 10 minutes just looking for the chest of X the first time, or else there is a lot of interrupting other people with questions of "where do I find X?" which gets old after a while.

Ability to search the labels in the minimap would mitigate a major source of player frustration and wasted time in multiplayer megafactories.
Last edited by garmian on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Search Labels in Mini-Map

Post by mrvn »

Same goes for train station names.

super_aardvark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by super_aardvark »

I second this suggestion. I don't know why you'd only want to search the mini-map, though. The search should be on the full map.

Also, you should be able to search by map notation icon, as well as text.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

super_aardvark wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 pm
I second this suggestion. I don't know why you'd only want to search the mini-map, though. The search should be on the full map.

Also, you should be able to search by map notation icon, as well as text.
Since we all know icon names for rich text by hard *cough*cough* that would be searching for "[item=iron-plate]" or similar. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”