Plant and grow trees

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thriem
Inserter
Inserter

Plant and grow trees

Post by thriem »

As trees does benefit pollution and you/we are looking into a way of reducing pollution and be nice to the biters, it would be nice to have a natural growth/die of trees (like in deserts).
And at endgames, brighten and beautify our industry/base, being able to plant trees/avenue would be nice.

Pollution should have some higher importance/impact as right now, like poisoning waters (and then you might have to go through a slow cleaning process or whatever) - and/or be able to hold a clone of a biter-spawner which consumes much of the pollution, but spawns the amount of enemies - but being able to tell your turrets not to hurt the spawners without having them circled so far...

WeirdConstructor
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Plant and grow trees

Post by WeirdConstructor »

In b4 someone explains there is a mod for that... I like the idea however, and when I started playing Factorio some weeks ago I wanted to do exactly that. That and put pollution filters into the smelters.

Philuminati
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Philuminati »

There WAS a mod for this... https://mods.factorio.com/mods/ToadRoach/AussyBush but it no longer gets updated so... This mod brought us two very nice features: a) you could plant trees; b) trees that burned down had a chance to spawn new as sapling so you could use flamethrower(-turrets) to fight in forest regions. The downside of course was that you couldn't do slash and burns anymore... However I think it would be nice to implement the sapling part into the game: You could transform wood into saplings and plant them wherever you want.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by voddan »

One other usage of planteble trees is an indestructible anti-biter fence.
Since biters don't harm trees, you could surround a base or an important building with trees and prevent biter attacks.
That feature would be balanced by the fact that trees need significant time to grow and can die out from pollution.
All things considered, setting up tree fences would be a nice late game alternative to walls of flamethrowers.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I like the idea of being able to plant a tree...
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

voddan wrote:One other usage of planteble trees is an indestructible anti-biter fence.
Since biters don't harm trees, you could surround a base or an important building with trees and prevent biter attacks.
That feature would be balanced by the fact that trees need significant time to grow and can die out from pollution.
All things considered, setting up tree fences would be a nice late game alternative to walls of flamethrowers.
Actually, I believe they will attack trees if they get in their way too much (although I may be wrong)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

thedarkbunny
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thedarkbunny »

Jap2.0 wrote:
voddan wrote:One other usage of planteble trees is an indestructible anti-biter fence.
Actually, I believe they will attack trees if they get in their way too much (although I may be wrong)
Can confirm. Hadn't seen it happen prior to last night, but I had a small biter chew through a tree to get at me.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by voddan »

thedarkbunny wrote:Can confirm. Hadn't seen it happen prior to last night, but I had a small biter chew through a tree to get at me.
Vow, seriously? Does the health of the tree gradually decrease when a biter chews it?

Even still, I would like to build some tree defense lines, at least to camouflage my factory.
Something tells me that biters will try to go around a wall of trees unless there is a heavy source of pollution.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

WeirdConstructor wrote:In b4 someone explains there is a mod for that... I like the idea however, and when I started playing Factorio some weeks ago I wanted to do exactly that. That and put pollution filters into the smelters.
Pollution filters exist, they're called efficiency modules.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

voddan wrote:
thedarkbunny wrote:Can confirm. Hadn't seen it happen prior to last night, but I had a small biter chew through a tree to get at me.
Vow, seriously? Does the health of the tree gradually decrease when a biter chews it?

Even still, I would like to build some tree defense lines, at least to camouflage my factory.
Something tells me that biters will try to go around a wall of trees unless there is a heavy source of pollution.
Yep, just like attacking anything else.
And biters try to path around walls too.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”