WASD keys to work on map while saving

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

WASD keys to work on map while saving

Post by Avacado »

TL;DR
Allow the WASD Keys to move the map when in the map view while saving (normally they are disabled while saving)

What ?
Currently you can enter/exit the map and also zoom in/out. You can use zooming in/out to move the map by zooming into one area and out of another, but that is awkward. Seems like moving the map should also be an allowable action during saving pauses, as you can still do it, just not through the WASD hotkeys.
Why ?
On my computer it takes about 30 seconds to save, which is quite boring and quite a bit of time to sit there. I'd love to be able to use that time to explore the map and plan my next location for action or just look around and monitor/admire my base. It seems like the whole framework is there to allow some actions during saving and so was hoping this was something that could be added.
Last edited by Avacado on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PunPun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Allow Arrow keys to work on map while saving

Post by PunPun »

Have you tried wasd? In normal gameplay when you are in mapmode wasd moves the map. I would assume they would work while saving too.

Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: WASD keys to work on map while saving

Post by Avacado »

Sorry, I actually meant WASD keys and not arrow keys, because those are the ones that move the map around in map mode.

When saving the WASD keys don't allow you to move the map, and I would like them to be able to move the map around so I have something to do during my ~30 second saving time. It is nice that we can open/close the map and zoom in/out while saving and I can use that zoom in/out to move the map awkwardly, but it'd be better if we could move the map directly.

I'll edit my original post and title to reflect WASD instead of what I wrote which was arrow keys.

Avacado
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: WASD keys to work on map while saving

Post by Avacado »

Bump.

Seems like the developers went the opposite way with this. Now you can no longer even open the map or zoom in/out while the game is saving. This is a bit annoying for my games where saving can take 30+ seconds where you're left with nothing to do except stare at the screen for 30 seconds.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”