Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JCav
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by JCav »

TL;DR
Ability to insert items into restricted (red) spaces inside of chests.

What ?
Let's take your typical Yellow Belt and place them inside of a box. Let's say that you've told the inserter placing them in the box, that half of the box is not to be filled, by using the X limiter and turning half the spaces red.

Now, the box has been filled with what it's permitted to hold of Yellow Belts, but you have a few hundred you'd like to get rid of in your inventory. Normally you could Control-Click and deposit your items into the box, but currently you cannot, because the rest of the spaces are red from the X limiter. So to remove your belts and place them in the box, you have to un-limit the box, which allows the inserter to immediately start placing items back into the box, while you then Control-Click to dump your belts. Then you have to re-limit the box.

How about instead, you can Control-Click once, and as normal, it fills up to the limiter, but Control-Clicking a second time in a short period of time (1 second?), would then fill the box inside the restricted area as well, EXCEPT FOR spaces which have been restricted for specific items different than what you're attempting to deposit.
Why ?
Most of the junk I accumulate gets put back into the boxes where that item is stored, so I can use it later. It is several steps shorter to deal with your inventory in this manner, than it is by default, while still allowing default behavior (just don't double-click). This seems like a simple QOL change to make managing extra items in your inventory when you return to a storage area much faster and less of a hassle.
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic again which has changed by merging older articles, see below

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by DaleStan »

It's not as easy as ctrl-clicking would be, but you can grab a stack of belts and drop that anywhere in the chest you want, including in the red zone. Repeat for each stack you want moved.

JCav
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JCav »

Moving each stack by hand is literally the problem I'm trying to see a QOL fix for.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

JCav wrote:Moving each stack by hand is literally the problem I'm trying to see a QOL fix for.
And other players may see a QoL in the ability to set a limit for the chest that will be honored when you're trying to fill them from inventory, while violation of said limit will be a QoL problem for them.

JCav
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JCav »

Lav wrote:
JCav wrote:Moving each stack by hand is literally the problem I'm trying to see a QOL fix for.
And other players may see a QoL in the ability to set a limit for the chest that will be honored when you're trying to fill them from inventory, while violation of said limit will be a QoL problem for them.
And if you read my suggestion, you'll see that the implementation would require a double-click.

If you can use windows appropriately without double-clicking all the time, my suggestion would work for you.

Deitrix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Deitrix »

Changed topic to handle not only player -> chest, but also chest -> player
The two subjects are mixed on the first page of this thread, so take care when reading!

When a chest is input limited and has reached its limit, it'd be nice if the player could quick transfer items into the chest past the limit. I can do it manually by dragging the stacks of items with the mouse, but shift/ctrl-clicking doesn't do anything. I often have an excess of an item, so I'll go and put it back in the "mall" chest, but have to either temporarily disable the limit to do a quick transfer, or drag the stacks manually.

I decided to file this under bugs instead of ideas/suggestions because the tooltip for limiting a chest specifically says: "Limit the inventory part to be filled by machines." Therefore, I believe this limit should only apply to machines, and not the player.

This applies to any interaction that involves transferring items from the player inventory into a chest. Be that shift/ctrl-clicking from outside the chest ui, or within.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.18] Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest

Post by ickputzdirwech »

+1 but with the following rules (yes, a bit more complicated :)) :
  • When shift or control-clicking items into a chest when the limit is not reached yet, only the unlimited slots should be filled (same behaviour as of now). Only when the unlimited slots are completely filled the items should be transferred into the limited slots (this could be problematic with high fluctuating chests, but I think it wouldn't be that big of a deal)
  • When control-clicking items out of a chest the limited slots should be emptied first.
  • When control-clicking items out of a chest and you are clicking on a limited slot items should be taken from the limited slots only, unless they are completely empty.
I'm a bit uncertain how multiple items in the same chest or (in case of control-clicking) in the character inventory should be handled.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.18] Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest

Post by invisus »

And... right back to ideas and suggestions... Too bad, I'd love to see this implemented.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

+10
This is a hassle forever already.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Shift-clicking items into red area of chests

Post by Zaflis »

The chest limiting feature is useful - for automation. But it's not nice when you have stackloads of iron plates and you want to put them in a limited chest, we should be able to do it because that's what we end up doing manually anyway, 1 stack at the time.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ctrl-click should remove item from last to first order

Post by Zaflis »

Currently when Ctrl-clicking a chest you get items starting from top left. This makes no sense when there can be even items in the red (limited) area.

With this you will have better sorting remaining in the chest and excess will be used before items in primary area. You could even re-sort a chest this way by moving last items to free slots starting from beginning. It is especially notable when using warehouse mods that could hold multiple item types, and could make big gaps in the slots as items are added and removed by automation. In that case you want to have a better idea of how filled the chest actually is by removing the gaps.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Shift-clicking items into red area of chests

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I like the idea. See this post 83753 for a discussion about it. Hopefully a moderator will merge the topics.
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Ctrl-click should remove item from last to first order

Post by ickputzdirwech »

This was discussed a bit in this topic as well 83753. It’s not exactly the same suggestion but I would prefer if they were merged as well. @Moderators feel free to delete this post if you decide to merge.

Xelephant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xelephant »

You can already do that if you limit the item count via circuit network instead of limiting the chests space.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

But.. we can put items in red area in Dyson Sphere Project and it works fantastically.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Ctrl-click should remove item from last to first order

Post by Kyralessa »

When the player grabs out of a chest, it takes from the upper left first.

When an inserter grabs out of a chest, it takes from the lower right first.

I would assume this inconsistency is intentional. It would be interesting to hear from a developer what the rationale is.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

+1 shift click should work, but not control click.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Why is that? How i see it they should both work for same reasons. If you set chest with only 1 automation slot and have 30 stacks of the item in inventory, how is it better to shift click them 1 by 1? I am ofc exaggerating an example but sometimes this scenario is really possible too. I'm growing tired of using storage chests with inserter limits for absolutely all items in mall, it's just insane amount of micromanagement.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Zaflis wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:36 pm
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Why is that? How i see it they should both work for same reasons. If you set chest with only 1 automation slot and have 30 stacks of the item in inventory, how is it better to shift click them 1 by 1?
I was thinking along the lines of: “if you shift click in such a way that the items go into a red slot, that must be what you want (because it means there are no other spaces available)”

Maybe control click once to fill up to the limit and then click again to fill red spaces.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”