Manual logistics network routing

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ctrlaltdel02
Inserter
Inserter

Manual logistics network routing

Post by ctrlaltdel02 »

It would be great to manually speciffy to what network roboport are assigned to. For example buffer chest are in range in main network, in which range materials get delivered, and then there is another roboport right next to buffer chest with dedicated robots for loading from buffer chests. Right now I'm getting situation, that buffer chests is at edge of network, when I arrive robots are migrated towards center of network, by the time they get to buffer chests, they grab items, and immediately go recharging, thus I'm forced to wait before leaving network area. If there was option to edit roboport network nodes, I can build roboport just for that, and robots will be charged up for work, not arrive with depleted battery.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Manual logistics network routing

Post by 4xel »

The issue with that kind of suggestion is that logistic bot network provide a very powerfull network system while remaining extremely simple to use and not to heavy on computation. As such, it has many flaws, but any attempt to fix some of them may make the system unappealling to use, heavy on computation, or have to make assumption on how people want to use it.

Ideally, one would want every single bot to be programmable ; but the GUI would no lonegr be a video game interface (at best it'd be an IDE). So one might want every bot to be programmed ; but assumptions need to be made on how people want bot to operate. So one might want the bot to be so smart player would not feel the need to suggest anything ; but that would be computation hungry.

So I'd say suggestions regarding logistic network, more than others, really need to be proved feasible and practical by a mod before having a chance to go into the main game, so I would make a mod suggestion in the relevant subforum as well

Meanwhile, best practice is to have many small logistic networks connected with trains (or belts, or inserters), instead of a big one. I am heavily biased toward "program your logistic network yourself" when I say that because that's really what it is, but that's really all there's to do for now (and I for one find it funny).

This time stamped video shows it has been done and provides idea on how to do it :

https://youtu.be/LLdiXOkGeuk?t=2029

As for your particular suggestion, I'd rather have the (lighter?) option to isolate roboports, rather than to have to assign every single bot. With the isolation setting blueprintable.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”