Specialized Oil Refineries

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Malandark
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Specialized Oil Refineries

Post by Malandark »

I currently have over 1200 hours playing Factorio, it's one of those (rare) games where the hours fly-by as their is so much to do in this game.

With 0.17 on the horizon with so many new features being introduced there is one not mentioned which I consider a 'must-have' and want to see if anyone else shares this opinion?

What is lacking in Factorio is the option for 'Specialized Oil Refineries'.

Once the player researches 'Advanced Oil Processing' there should be a further research item that allows the player to then research 'Specialized Oil Refineries'

Currently in Vanilla once a Oil Refinery complex is put down it will produce Heavy Oil, Light Oil and Petroleum automatically which then must be either stored, used there and then or taken away to be used elsewhere which is time consuming and often a nuisance having to cater for oil products not currently needed or making sure none of the three exceeds it's storage capacity.

With the option of researched 'Specialized Oil Refineries' players will be able to create and place 'Specialized Oil Refineries' complexes that produce only the product they want at specific Oil Patch locations thereby allowing them to control how much or little of the three main Oil products they want to produce. If using Trains they can then be sent to specific Oil Refinery Complex's for a particular Oil product they need instead of having to visit every Oil Refinery Complex for the Oil product they need. This would also cut down on using multiple Oil Product pipes within each Oil Refinery Complex.

This feature would not speed up current oil processing time from crude Oil to one product, it would take the same amount of time as though it was refining three oil products, it shouldn't add extra pollution as it's processing one oil product instead of the default three, yet will cost more in resources to build.

Does anyone agree with me that this feature would make a useful addition to the game?

-Malandark-

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Specialized Oil Refineries

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Ideas and suggestions.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Specialized Oil Refineries

Post by Aeternus »

That's because the refineries aren't the only structure in that chain:
Petrol: Most of the time you'll want a refinery complex to produce petrol - used for plastics and acid production. With chemical plants you can turn all heavy and light oil into petrol, causing your refinery cluster to have just that as output.
Light Oil: If you want to create rocket fuel or solid fuel, you can crack the heavy oil only and convert both light fuel and petrol into solid fuel. It's less efficient but it works.
Heavy Oil: Currently, the only reason to produce heavy oil is to turn it into Lubricant. Since you need so little of it, you can just siphon off heavy oil from any refinery. It doesn't much matter which one.

If I understand you right, you're basically asking to turn this grouping of structures into a single structure. But that'd defeat what factorio is about, would it not?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”