Redo functionality

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

L0laapk3
Inserter
Inserter

redo construction tool

Post by L0laapk3 »

TL;DR
just like the undo function that was described in fff#255, I would love to see a redo function on ctrl y. :)

What / Why ?
I think its pretty obvious but while they are on the topic of quality of life construction tools, I thought they might aswell finish the job with a redo function and module support for the upgrade planner. :)

WildBraas
Inserter
Inserter

Cancel the Ctrll+Z

Post by WildBraas »

New copy-paste feature is awesome! Thanks! But with Ctrl+XCV has another one operation: Ctrl+Y. This is uncancel process.

Ways of applying: player do some changes in buildings. Many changes. After this using Ctrl+Z player rollback all changes in this area. Plus several changes before changes which unwanted to cancel. How to cancel rollback? Ctrl+Y, like in Word. Thank you!

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Cancel the Ctrll+Z

Post by CDarklock »

WildBraas wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:28 pm
New copy-paste feature is awesome! Thanks! But with Ctrl+XCV has another one operation: Ctrl+Y. This is uncancel process.
+1 for "Redo" feature.

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

CTRL+SHIFT+Z though.

WildBraas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WildBraas »

Let me configurate this prease.

Arzorth
Inserter
Inserter

Redo functionality

Post by Arzorth »

TL;DR
Implement redo functionality to revert the last undo action.

What ?
I suggest to implement redo action with both a button in the shortcut bar and a keyboard shortcut (for me the best shortcuts would be Ctrl + Shift + Z as in linux or Ctrl + Y as in most windows editors).

Why ?
If player presses Ctrl+Z by mistake or more times than needed, he might undo things in the other side of the map without even noticing. This may result in belt cuts, missing inserters and many tiny modifications hard no notice and remember.

This functionality also gives the game a sense of group (mathematical group) where every operator (do) has its symmetric counterpart (undo) and reduces non-reversibilities.

BrutusMaximus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Redo functionality

Post by BrutusMaximus »

I also have to agree with this as sometimes i press CTRL + Z more than i should and it ends up undoing something far away that i don't even know where it is breaking things up.

Devs if CTRL + Y won't be implemented maybe add an option in which you could toggle that states "Undo(CTRL+Z) only in visible area." so undoing construction that you can't even see becomes a thing of the past but adding CTRL + Y is enough, i hope more people in here agree with me on this one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I was gonna suggest adding a redo functionality CTRL + Y but i saw it was already been asked for a few times so i'm posting here in the last created post.

Other requests:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62032&p=375336&hilit=redo#p375336 (10 Aug 2018)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67144&p=409591&hilit=redo#p409591 (08 Mar 2019)

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

I came here to request the same thing. Because a friend of mine, and not definitely me, just hit the undo button twice and took apart their carefully constructed not-saved-yet chunk sized blueprint. So, y'know, my friend was pretty sad about that. Don't make my friend sad, please.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

+1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved to implemented— ssilk

Undo = ctrl-z
Redo = shift-ctrl-z
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

That's not a thing.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:58 pm
moved to implemented— ssilk

Undo = ctrl-z
Redo = shift-ctrl-z
That must be a mod.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I was nearly sure I used that last week. But not 100%. So I made a quick search and found this https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ame=iossmf
And I read it too quickly, and thought it is exactly as I thought.

Now read all again. Still not 100% sure, and I can’t test it yet. :roll:

ccw18
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ccw18 »

I just tested and shift-ctrl-z is just undo, plus I did not find anything close to redo in the keybinding settings

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Two days later: I had a bit time and tried to replay what I did and I found that I just made something that didn’t matter if I made an undo or redo, the result was the same. So I guess I pressed shift-Cmd-Z (on Mac that’s redo) and didn’t hit shift good enough so I made an undo, but was thinking I made a redo.

Sorry for the hassle I produced, but in that moment I really thought “oh, I didn’t know that they implemented redo!” :) :roll:

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

+1

I thought about this for a while, and I do think it's something that's definitely a good idea.

Simply put, it's too easy to accidentally undo something you worked on across the map that you already forgot about and then never be able to find it again (until you realize a facility and large parts of the entire factory have been standing still for hours because of it.)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

+1

Havn't had any large issues, but ever so often i do one undo too much (because there's no indication what will be undone or even what was just undone), then i hit redo, ponder for a second if i hit the wrong key due to keyboard layout, and then remember that factorio doesn't have redo. It just never sticks in my mind because every other program i use that has undo also has redo. Even windows explorer has both!
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

+1. What good is an oopsie undo without a redo? I'm actually kinda surprised there's an undo but no redo. I've often times undid something which is fine once, but 2 or more times I'm like what on earth did I just undo on another part of my factory, if that makes sense.

Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taneeda »

+1

I remember some situations where I wichsed for such Redo ability :)
Shit happens, don't worry, keep happy

Ikonos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ikonos »

+1

For the "undo" I think an "undo" icon on the map for about 30 seconds could point you to the place you just broke (if you did the undo by accident). Not that the game should know if you broke something, just place an icon in the center of the "undo" operation to let the player know/check where it happened.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”