Waste management and recycling

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Atlas
Inserter
Inserter

Waste management and recycling

Post by Atlas »

TLDR: New machines and items to close the life cycle of waste material.
Description:
I'm proposing several new machines and items they produce.
Grinder (machine) - little or medium pollution, inputs all ingame items and grinds them into following materials
Scrap (item) - Based on the composition of the item the grinder outputs some amount (50% - 75% of input) of copper, iron, steel and plastic scrap. Scrap can be turned into plates by smelting it in furnaces.
Waste (item) - Waste is generated from unrecyclable materials such as wood, coal, stone and lubricant and from a part of recyclable materials. Waste can be used to make landfill, possibly with unique texture.
Dangerous waste (item) - Similar to waste, except it is created of dangerous materials such as sulfur, sulfuric acid or uranium. Dangerous waste cannot be repurposed.
Incinerator (machine) - Generates a lot of pollution and consumes moderate amount of electricity or fuel. It can incinerate any item and output nothing. However because of the pollution it is recommended to grind items first and then incinerate only excess waste and dangerous waste.

ajaner
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Waste management and recycling

Post by ajaner »

This suggestion is awsome and should be implemented!

All the items i have that is unusable in late game (pistol, smelters, poles, lights etc.) gives me OCD-problems when just stuffed in the wooden crates (wich is also junk). MakeItSo.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Yes, I really like this suggestion.

I'm sure it could be implemented as a mod, but having this in the vanilla base game would be great.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

For this to work, you should be forbidden to destroy items in any other way. By weapon for example.

To add a bit of fairness to this, you would need each recipe to give you some waste. So you should fight with it from the start.
From the other side you would need pollution poison and pollution cleaner.
Also each waste should give pollution just because it exist.

It would be too annoying to play really.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Sad_Brother wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:02 pm
For this to work, you should be forbidden to destroy items in any other way. By weapon for example.
No, it shouldn't be forbidden, but destroying items this way should produce more pollution than if it were done properly in a grinder/incinerator. That way, nobody would want to destroy items with weapons, because it would only have disadvantages.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

Tekky wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 pm
destroying items this way should produce more pollution than if it were done properly in a grinder/incinerator
It can work, but when biter break your chest you would get waste explosion.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”