New Inserters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

macdjord
Inserter
Inserter

New Inserters

Post by macdjord »

Stilt Inserter (Recipe: Inserter + 4 * Iron Rod): Works like a regular inserter, but you can walk through it like lights and power poles.
Angle Inserter: Takes stuff from one direction, outputs it 90 desgrees to the left or right (obviously, you need two versions: clockwise and counterclockwise)
Chest Inserter (Recipe: Inserter * 2 + Chest): Functionally equivalent to Inserter -> Chest -> Inserter.
Feeding Burner Inserter: Equivalent to Burner Inserter, except if its fuel supply is < 5, it will feed itself with any coal or wood it picks up.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New Inserters

Post by FreeER »

Half of these could easily be made with mods, I'd suggest asking Heinrich to consider these.
If/When we can make GUIs the Agile Inserter could have a 'switch' to determine which direction rather than actually requiring two different inserters
Also unless you just want to use burner items, there's really no reason for the feeding burner inserter (until the devs make electricity harder to get, or another mod does :))
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

macdjord wrote:Stilt Inserter (Recipe: Inserter + 4 * Iron Rod): Works like a regular inserter, but you can walk through it like lights and power poles.
I like the idea, but I want to change it a little: The stilt inserter should pick up items from underneath, allowing us to place it on top of transport belts.
macdjord wrote:Angle Inserter: Takes stuff from one direction, outputs it 90 desgrees to the left or right (obviously, you need two versions: clockwise and counterclockwise)
Not needed if we get the one above. :)
macdjord wrote:Chest Inserter (Recipe: Inserter * 2 + Chest): Functionally equivalent to Inserter -> Chest -> Inserter.
What's wrong with Inserter -> Chest -> Inserter?
macdjord wrote:Feeding Burner Inserter: Equivalent to Burner Inserter, except if its fuel supply is < 5, it will feed itself with any coal or wood it picks up.
Not needed imo, as we don't use burner inserters on a larger scale anyways.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Mysteria9 wrote:
macdjord wrote:Feeding Burner Inserter: Equivalent to Burner Inserter, except if its fuel supply is < 5, it will feed itself with any coal or wood it picks up.
Not needed imo, as we don't use burner inserters on a larger scale anyways.
This would enable us to.
It could also work as a failsafe on the power generation, allowing the player to have constantly not enough power if he wants to.

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

I've considered the burner inserter again, and I've changed my mind:

If the regular burner inserter is moving coal or wood, it would first make sure to supply itself before moving the coal or wood onwards.
Problem would be that if the inserter runs out of fuel it would not be able to refill itself, so it should be able to refill itself without using fuel.

So essentially, just swap out the current burner inserter with the one you suggested! :)
Perhaps the burner mining drill should wotk the same way when digging for coal?

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I though that the burner inserter only consumes coal during operation. (such situation "don't have fuel for refuelling myself" woudn't ever occur)

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

MF- wrote:I though that the burner inserter only consumes coal during operation. (such situation "don't have fuel for refuelling myself" woudn't ever occur)
Indeed, but what if the last fuel burns up just as the inserter drops an item? That's the scenario I was referring to.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

MF- wrote:I though that the burner inserter only consumes coal during operation. (such situation "don't have fuel for refuelling myself" woudn't ever occur)
what if it never has coal go near it for a very long time? during this time if it runs untill it stops working it wouldn't be able to refuel. however that would be circumvented by having a reserve which is exactly enough to self load 1 coal

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

AHA.. You are both considering scenarios where is the inserter handling both burnable and non-burnable materials.

I was considering only a scenario where all the materials handled by the inserter are burnable.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”