Adding rivers to the map generation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Yair3231
Inserter
Inserter

Adding rivers to the map generation

Post by Yair3231 »

There's not much to say in this topic, but I think that rivers should be added - long and narrow bodies of water.
This could result in a better looking map generation.
(Sorry if my english was bad)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Adding rivers to the map generation

Post by Tekky »

I agree that having rivers would be nice.

However, this would create additional problems. Right now, the player can move through the map relatively freely, without being hindered by water. This would change if your suggestion were implemented.

Therefore, if your suggestion were implemented, it would be important for the player to be able to swim through water. However, this would then add the question of whether biters should also be able to swim. If so, then the player would also have to be able to build defenses on water. For this reason, a Factorio developer has already stated in this post that he was currently against allowing the player to swim.

Related suggestion thread (which contains further links):
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60787 Boats, Bridges, Island builds, Rail bridges?

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

It is pretty difficult to get something structured from the noise-based generation. This was nearly the best I could achieve so far.

The main problem for me is the implementation of interference between different branches of logic. Rivers tends suddenly end just before the seas or cross each other at odd angles(when there is more than one layer) and so on... Without postrpocessing it does not look well.

Yair3231
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yair3231 »

Tekky wrote:I agree that having rivers would be nice.

However, this would create additional problems. Right now, the player can move through the map relatively freely, without being hindered by water. This would change if your suggestion were implemented.

Therefore, if your suggestion were implemented, it would be important for the player to be able to swim through water. However, this would then add the question of whether biters should also be able to swim. If so, then the player would also have to be able to build defenses on water. For this reason, a Factorio developer has already stated in this post that he was currently against allowing the player to swim.

Related suggestion thread (which contains further links):
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60787 Boats, Bridges, Island builds, Rail bridges?
limiting the players movement in the early game actually sounds nice, since the player wont expand his base just in one direction/in a box shape, but rather build around rivers and such, until he gets the landfill. Swimming is really not mandatory if you want to add rivers.
betrok wrote:It is pretty difficult to get something structured from the noise-based generation. This was nearly the best I could achieve so far.

The main problem for me is the implementation of interference between different branches of logic. Rivers tends suddenly end just before the seas or cross each other at odd angles(when there is more than one layer) and so on... Without postrpocessing it does not look well.
First, your preview looks nice. I really liked the islands that were formed from this generation (having to get to and "capture" an island sounds real nice). I understand nothing when it comes to map generation, but the devs have created much complex stuff before, and I believe they can handle this suggestion too.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

This mod adds rivers for generating islands between them.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”