QOL/Belts-> Show colored overlay on mouse-over

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cabble
Inserter
Inserter

QOL/Belts-> Show colored overlay on mouse-over

Post by Cabble »

I really struggle with replacing Belts and even more when the belt is filled. It's pretty hard to figure out if Belts are of a specefic color.

I recently played with trains and enjoyed the colored lines for placing signals.
My Suggestion is to have something similar for belts:

- on mouse-over a pair of lines (left and right side of the belt) - similar to train-signal-lines - is shown as overlay for the whole belt-flow
- the line is colored yellow/red/blue on each tile depending on the belt on this tile
. 50% opacity (or brighter/darker) to differ between left and right belt side
- this feature can be enabled/disable
- maybe add small arrows in the middle of the 2 lines to indicate the flow-direction (to figure out wrong-direction-belts)

to be discussed:

- should the line-segment be colored depending on the belt below it or depending on the resulting speed?
-- In the 1st case this would mean if you have belts blue->blue->red->blue->blue->blue the line would be ======
-- in the 2nd case this would mean if you have belts blue->blue->red->blue->blue->blue the line would be ======

- in which case the lines/arrows are displayed?
-- mouse over belt?
-- mouse over belt while holding a belt?
-- mouse over belt only in "Alt"-mode?

Pictures (enjoy my paint- skills :P)

Belt dependant colors:

Speed dependant colors:

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: QOL/Belts-> Show colored overlay on mouse-over

Post by eradicator »

Cabble wrote:when the belt is filled. It's pretty hard to figure out if Belts are of a specefic color.
Oh yes it is. Though if rumors are true upgrade planner is coming. I'm guessing it won't help for pre-bots though so this is still important.
Cabble wrote:- should the line-segment be colored depending on the belt below it or depending on the resulting speed?
-- In the 1st case this would mean if you have belts blue->blue->red->blue->blue->blue the line would be ======
-- in the 2nd case this would mean if you have belts blue->blue->red->blue->blue->blue the line would be ======
Color should be defined in the prototype, and thus depend on the belt type.
Your "second case" isn't really feasible in large belt setups. What if that red segment is side-loaded by four yellow belts? Nah, a blue belt is always blue-belt-speed, everything else is content.
Cabble wrote: - in which case the lines/arrows are displayed?
-- mouse over belt?
-- mouse over belt while holding a belt?
-- mouse over belt only in "Alt"-mode?
Mouse-over with belt, same as rails.
Mouse over without belt will cause constant blinking when moving through a factory. And i think most players always have alt-mode active, so that's too intrusive too.

I want the equivalent pipe-overlay even more though... :p

Iccor56
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Iccor56 »

this got made but does anyone know how to turn it off?? it makes arrows EVERYWHERE. covers up alot of stuff.

or maybe make it transparent to some degree?

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

Iccor56 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:22 am
this got made but does anyone know how to turn it off?? it makes arrows EVERYWHERE. covers up alot of stuff.
What? I don't think this suggestion was implemented. Could you post a screenshot?

Maybe you enabled some of debug overlays accidentally? Try to press F4 and look there. It's "show-transport-lines" probably.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”