Better connections for diagonal walls

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Better connections for diagonal walls

Post by MicFac »

TL;DR
I suggest the edges of diagonally placed walls to actually look diagonal
What ?
Factorio_walls.PNG
Factorio_walls.PNG (530.61 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
The edge of these walls looks rather blocky, I suggest them connecting diagonally, similarly to concrete or stone bricks placed down.
Factorio_diag_concrete.PNG
Factorio_diag_concrete.PNG (740.58 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Why ?
This looks better (in my opinion) and more realistic.

AlphaStrike
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Better connections for diagonal walls

Post by AlphaStrike »

Have my vote.

gabrielpvc@gmail.com
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Curved/Diagonal Walls

Post by gabrielpvc@gmail.com »

Summary
Walls which are similar to rails in terms of building mechanics.
Why?
This would allow diagonal sections or the corners of the base to not be a serrillated mess. This to me was specially noticeable when making spaceships for space exploration, which encourage a curved front side, which always end up being a "minecraft like" abomination. Curved walls are also very important for base corners since you need to round it up since bitters converge to any protuding bit.

While this idea could be extended to belts and other such things, I feel like walls are the easiest point of improvement in terms of development. If the space exploration walls were affected as well, this would be ideal.
Maybe also
There is also an issue which is not directly related but it might be good to tackle it as well. When building walls near an empty block such as space, the walls connect to that space for some reason. this results in spaceships which a lot of nubs on the outside, which you can remove by building an extra layer of spaceship floor, building the wall and then removing the floor, which is an annoying thing to have to do. Making the wall never connect to an empty tile resolves that issue.
Where?
This suggestion(s) can be implemented both on the main factorio, or by mods, or even on the space age expansion.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Curved/Diagonal Walls

Post by Illiander42 »

The walls connecting to water/space has a mod that fixes it. Except I think it also turns off connecting to cliffs?

Curved walls won't give any benefit other than aesthetics over just drawing that bitmap curve. They might also have odd things to do with them being single segments with massive HP.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yeah, not so sure on the curved part (as mentioned, due to their size and HP requirement), but diagonal would be nice.

I think the "nubs" on the side connecting to space is because this is a simple on/off flag for connecting to tiles it can't be built on. This is what it does when it's put adjacent to water tiles and (as mentioned) cliffs. This could potentially be changed to also having a list of tiles that it wouldn't do it with and shouldn't be bad on performance because these are one time checks.

(And the SE walls are likely just copies of the regular walls, so... yeah, anything done on vanilla for walls would apply to SE as well.)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:57 pm
shouldn't be bad on performance because these are one time checks.
Absolutely is an on-build check. Because the nubs stay if you landfill the water they're connecting to.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Better connections for diagonal walls

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into an older thread with a similar train of thought.
Also honourable mention : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83156
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”