Bot Boundries

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Bot Boundries

Post by TheSAguy »

I'd like a version of the bots that can only fly in the coverage area of robo-ports. (so only the green highlighted areas.)
They can't leave the areas. If you mine a port with bots outside, they would just crash and burn :)

This would be an optional setting on the entity, that way you could create both types of bots in a game.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Bot Boundries

Post by Rseding91 »

This isn't likely to ever happen due to the performance implications of making robots do those kinds of checks.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

n7m6e7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by n7m6e7 »

Rseding91 wrote:This isn't likely to ever happen due to the performance implications of making robots do those kinds of checks.
Well, how do they do these checks normally? Couldnt you just put down a roboport, and say " dont connect to nearby networks" ?

Or is it a system where bots look for any port in range, and the dotted line connections are just for our benefit?

EDIT: misread. My bad.

Also. Why would you want bots to crash outside of boundries? You will loose 100% of your personal bots while walking.
There are no absolutes. I live knowing I could always be wrong, but with confidence that I could also be right.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

n7m6e7 wrote:Well, how do they do these checks normally? Couldnt you just put down a roboport, and say " dont connect to nearby networks" ?
The robot is in network X, Request is in network X, item is in network X. Robot goes to item, picks it up, robot goes to request, drops it, next task. no new task? find nearest roboport with free space. (Which is why my robochest needs a charging port. when looking to dock, they don't check if there is a charging point or not, they will want to charge at it if they have less than 90% power)

They don't care if the entire path is covered by a logistics zone or not, they just go from point A to B to C.
n7m6e7 wrote:the dotted line connections are just for our benefit?
Yes, our benefit, just to let us know that they're close enough to be connected, and therefore part of the same network.
Last edited by bobingabout on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
n7m6e7 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Well, how do they do these checks normally? Couldnt you just put down a roboport, and say " dont connect to nearby networks" ?
The robot is in network X, Request is in network X, item is in network X. Robot goes to item, picks it up, robot goes to request, drops it, next task. no new task? find nearest roboport with free space. (Which is why my robochest needs a charging port. when looking to dock, they don't check if there is a charging point or not, they will want to charge at it if they have less than 90% power)

They don't care if the entire path is covered by a logistics zone or not, they just go from point A to B to C.
n7m6e7 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:the dotted line connections are just for our benefit?
Yes, our benefit, just to let us know that they're close enough to be connected, and therefore part of the same network.
Do they go to the nearest roboport or to one in it's logistic network? With your roboports mk1/2/... it should be possible to have a roboport mk1 from a different network closer to the bot than the roboport it started from I think.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:Do they go to the nearest roboport or to one in it's logistic network? With your roboports mk1/2/... it should be possible to have a roboport mk1 from a different network closer to the bot than the roboport it started from I think.
Nearest on the network.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Then a more general version of the posters request would be to be able to split logistic networks. Something like with power poles where you place a copper wire to remove the existing one. Except for the yellow line it shows.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well you can separate bot networks. Just build the roboports far enough apart that they don't connect. (I know this isn't what you or the op are suggesting, but it is available in vanilla right now, and achieves the same result).

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I think that some dev said at some point in the past that disconnected overlapping logistic networks are not possible with the current system and thus would need a major rewrite / cost too much performance / are not going to happen.
(Just for the record: I'd love to have those too.)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”