Terrain Height Differencies + AirCraft + Higher-Belts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

perahoky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Terrain Height Differencies + AirCraft + Higher-Belts

Post by perahoky »

Hello,

TL;DR:
Height differencies could make it possible to Build Bridge-Belts OVER Factories, Helicopters, WaterStorage-Pumping-EnergyStorage and Water-Energy-Plant.
The Height Differencies would make the enironment more interesting and not as boring as currently is and Tactical advantages by higher positions... now we can have REAL cliffs! Not these fake-cliffs.

i have a short and complex idea:

the game has a too boring environment.

So please Implement more "Height-Possibilities".

The terrain is currently very limited. There is just 1 layer.

- Helicopters / Aircraft
Per mod i can use helicopters, but thats buggy: inserters would insert into a flying helicopter.
So it seems possible to use higher layers in the game.
Please make aircraft available for the player.
For balancing, you could make it very fuel consuming for a limited time. Refueling has to be on a airport (i cant walk on air while flying an refueling).

- Usage
You could use the higher layers for logistic belts by building bridges OVER factories or other belts and so on.
These bridges need "surface-foots" every 4 "belt-sized-tiles" (the 4 times size of 1 belt) just like the streets in "Cities XL" game.
This would make the game more complex by adding another dimension.
And please make this available for modding too, for example placing buildings in higher layers on platforms - but i would not recommend this to be in vanilla.

- How to see whats on lower layers?
Per Tabbing ALT you can activate a 50% transparent mode like in other games. So you can see whats on the surface or lower layers.

- Mountains / Height Differencies on Surface
Height differencies on surface could be another usage for dirt (mined on stone).
This should be optional on map generation cause not every player would like it.
A 1 unit of height difference should be possible to be changed by using a certain amount of dirt, so you can "flatten an area for buildings.
Belts can be build everywhere, they can follow the height differency without changing it.

I would appreciate everyone to extend this idea :)

Extend1: 18:23:

- Water as Ressource

Water don't has to be on surface!
Water comes from an under ground water source to higher terrain, so you can build water pumping energy plant or water energy plant. This is a very natural eletric energy source.
But "be aware! if this is destroyed or broken, a wide range (depending on plant size) is flooed with water and destroyed. Water sinks in dirt, so not all area is flooed.
Yes, you would have to implemented a bit of water physics :)

I mean i want to build THIS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Gorges_Dam
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-st ... lectricity

by using "height differencies".

I will extend this myself.

PS:
i didn't checked the gramar again, i just want to deliver this idea.
If something is not understandable, don't wait to ask.

PS2: yes, this isn't implemented in a short time, maybe 1.20 ? ;)

Thanks everyone.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Terrain Height Differencies + AirCraft + Higher-Belts

Post by bobingabout »

For height differences, I do kinda like how games like Command and Conquer isometric (Tiberium sun and Red alert 2), and Transport Tycoon Deluxe and (Built on the same engine) Roller coaster Tycoon handled it. Though where TS and RA2 did things with tiles and edges, giving limited slope options, TTD and RCT did things with corners, and where TS and RA2 added cliffs with a height difference of 3, RCT added the abillity to have edges that didn't match from tile to tile, allowing for hard cliffs that rides could intersect and go underground.

Either way, all these games are isometric, not square, so I'm not sure how well they'd translate to Factorio, but I think they did it well, and that was worth mentioning.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Terrain Height Differencies + AirCraft + Higher-Belts

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:For height differences, I do kinda like how games like Command and Conquer isometric (Tiberium sun and Red alert 2), and Transport Tycoon Deluxe and (Built on the same engine) Roller coaster Tycoon handled it. Though where TS and RA2 did things with tiles and edges, giving limited slope options, TTD and RCT did things with corners, and where TS and RA2 added cliffs with a height difference of 3, RCT added the abillity to have edges that didn't match from tile to tile, allowing for hard cliffs that rides could intersect and go underground.

Either way, all these games are isometric, not square, so I'm not sure how well they'd translate to Factorio, but I think they did it well, and that was worth mentioning.
I think that system like in TTD or similar is something that would have a chance to work decently in Factorio.
It would still be a lot of work to implement it I think - I foresee some issues with objects that could hide behind others since there is no rotation here.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”