Update selected Mods

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Update selected Mods

Post by Pothrekr »

Hi,

I would like to control which mods get updated when updating them within the game.

At the moment I have 3 active maps that I play: (Lazy bastard (no mods), Seablock (specific mods and versions) and Pitchblack).
I like to keep my QoL Mods up to date all the time (RSO, SqueakThru, Nanobots etc), but I specifically do not want to update my mods for Seablock for example.
I have the option of having separate Mod folders and copying them in when I want to play the respective map, however this prevents any value from the "Sync Mods to save" button which I find quite handy.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Update selected Mods

Post by Koub »

Might be overkill, but :
1) DL the zip version from Factorio's website
2) Unzip it in 3 different folders
3) Now you have 3 independant Factorio versions, with independant settings, mods, saves, ...
4) Enjoy

There might be a more elegant way, but if not, this should work.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pothrekr »

Koub wrote:Might be overkill, but :
1) DL the zip version from Factorio's website
2) Unzip it in 3 different folders
3) Now you have 3 independant Factorio versions, with independant settings, mods, saves, ...
4) Enjoy

There might be a more elegant way, but if not, this should work.
Yeah not very extensible. I thinks it's just easier to have mod folders you can copy in, if you had to manage this issue outside the game.

But I shouldn't have to do that. The game allows you to download, toggle and sync mods with your saves. Why not allow the user to choose which mods to update?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You actually only need 3 different mods folders. I believe you can run a command line flag to specify the mod directory, so at least that saves from unzipping the game 3 times.
I'm not sure if you can do this on the steam version, but I don't see why not, steam does offer the ability to include command line flags when executing games.

You'd have to look at the wiki or something to find out what the command line options are.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

You need a different shortcut for each set of mods thought, and i don't think steam supports that?
I have a batch file for this which starts factorio

Code: Select all

C:\_blabla_\%_version%\bin\x64\Factorio.exe %_options% --config %_config.ini% --mod-directory %_mods_folder%
but that doesn't solve the problem of updating individual mods while keeping the rest outdated.

The only solution to this really is to have built-in support for "modpacks". (E.g. via contentless mods that only specify a list of version exact dependencies to download.) In addition to being able to update only selected mods. The "sync mods with savegame" dialog already features a checkbox list so the mod portal could do this too.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”