Train path penalty reduction for "same" station

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

looney
Inserter
Inserter

Train path penalty reduction for "same" station

Post by looney »

Tweaking path penalties is obviously a delicate process. But I've noticed a few situations where it might be useful to tweak the values.

The penalty for a train sitting around can grow without limit, exceeding any attempt to control traffic flow with circuit conditions. This is probably desirable if the trains are attempting to travel to different destinations, however you probably care less about being blocked by a train going to the same station, as you'll probably end up waiting as well. So perhaps the penalty for a train going to the same stop should be capped?

I've also noticed with a stacker in front of a large number of identical stations, with different path lengths to each, a train may block waiting for a station that is in use instead of going to an available station. I think that trains should favour the fastest speed over choosing the shortest path length, so perhaps the best way to express this would be; an additional penalty based on the inverse distance / time until the train must apply their brakes?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”