Factorio is about to be launched. but what about its future?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MonkeyWagon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MonkeyWagon »

SORRY IF THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE TO PUT IT. I WAS UNSURE.
TL;DR
The game is about to be released and thats great! However it wont have some of the features that i read about way back when it wasn't even on steam. Will this game maybe get expansions to add these? if so here is my suggestion on how that could work. !WARNING THIS POST WILL NOT BE SHORT!
Small pre story
When i first read about this game and the lore was: You are sendt ahead as part of a crew to make the planet ready for colonization. Of course this goes wrong and you are on your own. But the colonists are still coming, no warning was given or because the distances are so large in space they where sendt a few years behind you even tho you still haven't gotten there yet. Regardless, you are alone, and a whole slew of people will be coming and die if you dont get the planet ready. and this is where one of the features come into play that haven't been made (or i made up. i dont know, its been a while since i backed this game). You had to get the surface ready, but you needed a way to receive the colonists as well. And here is where the feature that has been never added was mentioned i'm pretty sure. A Space platform. This wont be added but it would make a heck of an expansion pack if the ever where to be a thing (or a mod if someone has that kinda skill).
What ?
What i think is nifty about my idea is how it can be done. It is basically just a reverse planet i terms of game coding. The entire map would just be water re-textured as space and land mass re-textured as space platform.
And it would maybe start like this. You have your rocket, but instead of a satellite you put in a starter platform pack. Once its launched and you get in the second rocket to get up there you end up with something like this?

Marine representing you, and command center representing a basic workshop\smelter\storage or interaction point to see the limitations of the platform (such as power and\or other limitations you would like to add to make building on the platform a challenge, like CPU? some buildings needing CPU power to operate sorta like the eve online fitting of ships mini-game?).

so, you have built all that you can on the platform and need more space. You go back to the planet (with the rocket you came on being docked on the side of the platform or something) and make another platform but you cant make the same starter platform since you can only have one of those per player. Also i feel the new platform should connect up to the old one rather than just make the original platform larger since that's hows today's platforms are built. sorta like this?

Now however you can build more specialized platforms that have different perks. Just to name a few could be a production platform (faster production on all buildings placed on this platform) solar farm platform (small building space but large solar panels on the side that produce more power than the average platform) orbital bombardment platform (wonder what this does) and of course a docking platform for the colonists (this will be way end game tho and i can elaborate on this later if you wish. but the post would be massive if i went to much into detail.)

at some point you maybe can get a platform that sends out a drone to collect an asteroid to grind up at the station for materials, maybe even some exotic materials? Also have a general idea how aliens would interact with the station. something like this?

Why ?
Once you have sendt up a rocket and researched everything you just maintain what you have and build it larger, this expands the end game even further an just doing those endless research's currently in the game.
I feel this could work well since you could get new tech that can only be researched in space and have some items not being able to create unless you are in zero G, as well as a myriade of other functions.
It also open the game up for a lot of other paths the game could take to grow even more.
Sorry if i'm way of base here, but wanted to at least air my thought

MonkeyWagon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MonkeyWagon »

i mean like, what will happen after release? any idea's for its future? expansion packs or just keep it alive like minecraft and let modders do the rest? i am just curios.

i do have some idea's as to what could happen if they make expansions and tried to post em on the suggestion thread. But it just turned into a mess like i suspected it would.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factorio is about to be launched. but what about its future?

Post by Koub »

Wait and see. When/if they need our input, I'm sure we will know.
[Koub] btw merged with your other topic with exactly same subject.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Didn't they abandon the space platform idea?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Space platform is indeed not in the "planned" features before release. Nobody knows what will come next (maybe even not the devs themselves).

MonkeyWagon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MonkeyWagon »

bobingabout wrote:Didn't they abandon the space platform idea?
That's what i'm wondering. and if they did and i diffident just imagine it, maybe i would work well as an expansion later on? maybe?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This has actually been discussed several times, and to summarize : as long as we don't have a clue about what the devs want to do after release, we should just help them work on what they are working. Sure enough, if there is a post release development, the devs will tell us what they have in mind, and ask us feedback.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Also, I wouldn't say that Factorio is about to be released. 0.16 isn't at its last stable yet, and then we have at least all of the wait until and experimental of 0.17. Also, they've been saying that the next release would be 1.0 since what, like 0.12? At least? We're definitely getting closer, though.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I always assumed that the "release" will mostly be a change in the version number, and that development would continue as it does now, fixing bugs, optimizing stuff, and adding the occasional new things, gradually slowing down over the years, until... until they're fed up with factorio and decide to invent yet another genre :P?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”