A pointer

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Krosskaos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

A pointer

Post by Krosskaos »

Is there a pointer function already in the game I haven't been able to find? If not, then might I suggest implementing a pointer for multiplayer?

Most of the time when I'm playing, I'm playing multiplayer with several other friends. It gets kind of frustrating when I'm trying to explain how something works by running to and from different things and trying to show what I'm referring to by running over to it and partaking in a game of charades trying to get my point across. I think it would be beneficial if there was a pointer mechanic where you can display where your cursor is on the screen so the other players can see what your pointing at, allowing for easier communication (even if I am using Discord to talk to them). Maybe it could be in the form of a laser that the user holds and points where ever the cursor is, or it could simply be built in as part of the GUI...either way, would be really helpful :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A pointer

Post by Koub »

You can tag a place on the map, even add names and item icons on the tag by right clicking on the map. Doesn't that fulfill your need ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Yep. Just right click on the map, pick an icon or type in a name (or both), and it will mark that spot on the map. When you're done just right click on the map marker and edit or delete it.

Dying automatically marks your corpse on the map. You have 15 minutes to reclaim the goodies inside.

Krosskaos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Krosskaos »

Koub wrote:You can tag a place on the map, even add names and item icons on the tag by right clicking on the map. Doesn't that fulfill your need ?
Actually, yes. Thanks a lot, glad to know there's a feature for that

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

I would really appreciate this suggestion. When in the main game view, map icons aren't useful.

The ability to hover your mouse over machines, chests, etc and the other players see it would be great.

There's a "map ping" mod that makes a huge loud blink, which is completely inappropriate when trying to teach a player.

I see this as primarily a multiplayer communication tool. A colored "laser pointer" would be ideal.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

There is a debug setting that shows what other players are hovering over, can't remember the name off the top of my head though.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm
There is a debug setting that shows what other players are hovering over, can't remember the name off the top of my head though.
I just found show-multiplayer-selection-rectangles, I'll test that out.

Zillard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zillard »

Shoot the thing your pointing to. A green healthbar is quite visible. Obviously with an smg or pistol. Not nukes or rockets haha. Then repair afterwards.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Zillard wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 pm
Shoot the thing your pointing to. A green healthbar is quite visible. Obviously with an smg or pistol. Not nukes or rockets haha. Then repair afterwards.
From Texas are we?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Demosthenex wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 am
Zillard wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 pm
From Texas are we?
Sometimes I really wish this forum had a "like" button.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

There is a mod that sends a beam from the player to the item they are interacting with, and in the comments someone made a weapon that shoots that same 0-damage beam.

I'd love an in-game laser pointer as a selectable item (weapon slot?), when you click it just places a laser pointer in your player color at the location.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Mod is the keyword: first implementation as mod, not vanilla.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Often features in the mod become a core game mechanic. For multiplayer, I feel this should be a core mechanic in vanilla. I think it could be rapidly implemented in a mod first.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Demosthenex wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:35 pm
A colored "laser pointer" would be ideal.
Like this one? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WatchThis

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Looks like my search-fu is weak on the mod portal. I'd just learned about "show-multiplayer-selection" in the debug menu, that's been adequate for the moment. It should be considered for a core feature in multiplayer.

riking
Inserter
Inserter

Post by riking »

Hold both CTRL and ALT when clicking a location in the world or on the map to ping that location in chat, which shows up as a giant X in game.

Significantly more obtrusive and lingering than visible selection boxes, but it gets the job done.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”