Trailers for Cars

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

LazyDev
Inserter
Inserter

Trailers for Cars

Post by LazyDev »

Is it possible to have trailers for cars? I know they have a trunk, but what if you way out from your base and you need alot of resources?

Just a thought.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Trailers for Cars

Post by mrvn »

With AAI Vehicles you can set up one vehicle to follow another.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

If you are that far outside you base, and in need of items to build something (or inventory space to carry resources home), then you should just build a railway. (Alternatively use a tank, they have a bigger inventory than a car). As it is you have you characters inventory, and the cars inventory space. Between them they hold roughly as much as 3 railway wagons.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

LazyDev wrote:Is it possible to have trailers for cars? I know they have a trunk, but what if you way out from your base and you need alot of resources?
Then you are probably building a large outpost and intend to transport products by trains. Why not make railway first and use a work train?

Otherwise it seems to be quite exotic need. There are some mods with trucks. Or you can adjust car's trunk size with own simple lua code.

LazyDev
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LazyDev »

Hannu wrote:
LazyDev wrote:Is it possible to have trailers for cars? I know they have a trunk, but what if you way out from your base and you need alot of resources?
Then you are probably building a large outpost and intend to transport products by trains. Why not make railway first and use a work train?

Otherwise it seems to be quite exotic need. There are some mods with trucks. Or you can adjust car's trunk size with own simple lua code.
I was thinking on the lines of a base that just started up, or on railroad maps where resource patches are far apart. Sure, you can take a train, or just use one as a carrier for resources, but what if you're scouting around and need to carry large amounts of resources to build an outpost to secure patches that are found?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

LazyDev wrote:
Hannu wrote:

I was thinking on the lines of a base that just started up, or on railroad maps where resource patches are far apart. Sure, you can take a train, or just use one as a carrier for resources, but what if you're scouting around and need to carry large amounts of resources to build an outpost to secure patches that are found?
You can carry quite a bit in your inventory and the car's inventory combined.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Heckett
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Heckett »

LazyDev wrote:
Hannu wrote:

Cars already have massive inventories, I can't think of anything extra you would need that can't already fit in your personal inventory and the car's inventory. You'll need to return to your base to build a rail line if its that far away anyway, so why not build the basics, build a rail back, then jam a builder train with everything you want?

Just seems like you would run the risk of losing a lot of items if the bugs destroy the car, trailer, and you if you're that far away.

adjl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adjl »

Realistically, if you're that far away from your base, you should probably be building out a primary rail line as you explore (and plopping radars down periodically to scan further out). To that end, you can probably get away with just using a train to haul the supplies, and break out a car if you want to venture a significant distance from that main line (in which case the trunk should be enough to carry everything you'll need). Stylistically, I like the idea of using trailers to haul cargo around without the constraint of rails, but in practice, there really isn't any functional need for that in the vanilla game. In my eyes, that pushes it into mod territory.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”