Planetary Game Progression

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

unknowntrojan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Planetary Game Progression

Post by unknowntrojan »

Hello,

I came up with a good Idea for Factorio about a year ago, which I posted into the wrong category (after re-reading the topic, thank you, User Master for telling me that this was the wrong category).
This would make the game harder, and make rockets (and satellites!) have a more interesting role.
I changed the post to include ideas from the comments and will provide their names - I don't want to steal credit.
Also, I rewrote my part of the Suggestion.

You crashlanded on a planet. And are building a rocket.
Now, that you have built a rocket, you have to send a satellite to map the system.
Once you mapped the system, you send yourself to another planet with the same research and a few resources from your old base. But, this planet does not have Iron! So, what are you going to do?
This planet has some other metals, that require more complex processing to build machines that would have used iron.
Now, you have built a second base.
You would have to build a minimum of three bases. These three have to be equipped with a laser. This laser would send a lot of energy to a big Communications satellite, so that it can send a distress signal to earth.
This communications satellite may be very expensive, requiring all exclusive resources from all planets in the system.
This would add a lot of difficulty and maybe prolong the game to a boring point, but with new game mechanics (such as a nuclear reactor requiring x from planet y etc.) This could be counteracted.

User CremionisD suggested that the satellite may map the System for planets. (So that this would be a prerequisite for actually moving on.)

Thank you for reading this.

-unknowntrojan

TL;DR:
This would add difficulty due to needing to go to other planets with each having specific limitations in resources in order to complete the game.
Steam Turbines do not consume Steam as of 0.16.12. You can connect them infinitely for infinite power.

Potlood
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Planetary Game Progression

Post by Potlood »

I love the idea you have. You can do so much more with the Satellite and rocket.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”