Cross-version server browser

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JuicyJuuce
Inserter
Inserter

Cross-version server browser

Post by JuicyJuuce »

Suggestion: Make the in-game public server browser show games from all versions of Factorio.

We run our PvP scenario server on the latest experimental version of the game, as there are often necessary bug fixes not found in the stable branch and habitual users seem to prefer experimental. Yet we have noticed that our server gets a spike in player activity when the stable and experimental branches are on the same version, presumably because a large portion of the player base never leaves the stable branch and probably doesn't know experimental exists.

Instead of pining for the precious days of future merged branches to gain that sweet sweet exposure (and the resulting gameplay joys that follow), this issue could be addressed by being able to see servers from all versions within the browser, along with a small tooltip directing users to information on how to change versions. You could of course have the option to filter out other versions in the same way that you filter out servers with mods or passwords.

More broadly, this would unite the entirety of the Factorio multiplayer community, allowing users to have a gauge of what servers are out there at a glance without having to switch between versions or use some obscure external website.
3Ra Gaming Moderator
come play the PvP scenario with us and join our discord at www.3ragaming.com/discord

DDDGamer
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Cross-version server browser

Post by DDDGamer »

I like the idea, just as long the versions not the same that the one the player is running are maybe grayed out (along with filter column)

Chocolatetthunder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chocolatetthunder »

This is a great idea and of any post release beta virsons are going to be continued it is a must have.
3Ra Gaming Owner
join us on discord @ http://www.3RaGaming.com/discord

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

Agreed, there should be an option to list ALL public servers, not just the ones running on the same version as you.

I would expect this to be a tickbox so that i can filter them out if i'm looking for a server to join.

Valansch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Valansch »

I second the suggestion. Its a great i idea. I think there are many people stuck on stable that don't know what crazy cool stuff is going on on experimental servers!
Admin and Developer for RedMew

badgamernl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badgamernl »

As a community owner I would like to see this feature being added because there is a large portion of the community is unknown about the a large part of the servers.
-- Explosive Gaming a factorio server community, or join the discord --

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

There are only good ideas here so far.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”