Lock Aspect Ratio During resizing window mode

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

nekkun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lock Aspect Ratio During resizing window mode

Post by nekkun »

TLDR:
Better resolution options either aspect ratio or in-game locks.

What:
I would like the ability to lock the aspect ratio of the game to whatever I pick (4:3, 16:9, etc) as I resize a window game.
Sugggestion: Hold button (ctrl, shift, or alt) as you resize window to lock "aspect ratio" or maybe a checkbox in the options.
Right now as it stands, it's free-form "molding" of the game resolution. I would like to lock it so that as I make it bigger or smaller, it's fixed to an aspect ratio.
I've searched Google, these forums, and the mod DB. So far, nothing like this exists.
The alternative is just tell me what the real resolution of the game is (suggestion: in title of game as you resize it) so I can make sure it's getting 800x600 px or whatever I want out of it.
I noticed that the game doesn't have pre-set resolutions and if it's not going to be put in, maybe something like this can?

Why?:
Streaming. Not only to twitch, but to other devices. My "dumb tv" in my living room can't run this at anything but 1280x720 and I have to manually adjust it until it fits. It doesn't help that the PC is in another room. I even sometimes play on the toilet and the bathroom has a 4:3 aspect monitor in there that I can play on. This is obviously quite niche.
Also for actual twitch streaming, not everyone has a partnership and can stream at any high resolution they want. Us regular streamers have to do it at a max of 720p and if you only have one monitor (4k or whatever) you can set it to that and have OBS(or other software) upscale/downscale as needed to save screen real estate.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Lock Aspect Ratio During resizing window mode

Post by Jap2.0 »

You can set a resolution in the startup parameters.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

Isn't how windows work more of an operating system thing than a game thing?

nekkun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nekkun »

Jap2.0 wrote:You can set a resolution in the startup parameters.
whats the syntax?
".exe -x -y" ?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

nekkun wrote:
whats the syntax?
".exe -x -y" ?
Try

Code: Select all

--window-size [resolution]
ex.:

--window-size 800x600
(source: this from here, although I find it weird that it isn't on the wiki; please let me know if that works and I'll see if I can get it fixed; Bilka?)

If you're using Steam, right click on Factorio in your list of games and there should be a spot for parameters; if you're using the standalone version, right click on the icon and there should be a spot for that as well, and if you aren't using Steam or Windows, I have no idea.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

nekkun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nekkun »

Jap2.0 wrote:
nekkun wrote:
whats the syntax?
".exe -x -y" ?
Try

--window-size [resolution]
ex.:

--window-size 800x600
(source: this from here, although I find it weird that it isn't on the wiki; please let me know if that works and I'll see if I can get it fixed; Bilka?)

If you're using Steam, right click on Factorio in your list of games and there should be a spot for parameters; if you're using the standalone version, right click on the icon and there should be a spot for that as well, and if you aren't using Steam or Windows, I have no idea.
Awesome thank you so much! This worked just as I need it to.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”