"Skybox" for map edges

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mobon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

"Skybox" for map edges

Post by Mobon »

TL;DR
A subtle change that would make map edges more appealing. A "skybox" of sorts.
What?
I propose that instead of the very sharp cut-off on the tutorial maps as shown here:

Something like this is implemented:

Not the best example, since using the cliff texture would give the impression that it could be bombed. A different mountain texture could be created for better effect. It could fade out into black as shown in the mock-up or it could be an endless loop of un-walkable looking terrain.
Why?
I think it could be a subtle, easy to implement detail that would help the look and feel of the game for new players.

GDHURRICANE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: "Skybox" for map edges

Post by GDHURRICANE »

Seems like a simple implementation that would make it look alot more professional. However would probably be added after .17, if it does, as the game finishes up to being shipped as 1.0.
roses are red, violets are blue, why stone the gays when you can burn the jews.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well there are bound to be lots of people who think that a flat plane floating in space is also unrealistic. Maybe a better solution is to generate the map without bounds, and just limit the player (and other buildable/movable entities) to map bounds. (Perhaps by using indestructible version of cliffs or something

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tongs »

I like the abstract idea, but not the implementation. I think it would look better to have a third type of water - perhaps a "very deep" water - and use that. Landfill would not work there. That would look more realistic than dropping off into space, or having a black edge like the world is letterboxed.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

And as a bonus, we can keep letting pumps work on the edges. It's already water in my head canon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”