Tasteless lab names

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Tasteless lab names

Post by damerell »

A friend of mine has just built their first lab. It has been assigned the name "Lab traps are not gay".

This is not in the best possible taste and I submit it should be removed from the list of random names.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Tasteless lab names

Post by muzzy »

Ahh... the name in the game. Plenty of fun stuff in data/core/backers.json

"Butters Furry Party"
"GAY FACTORIO NERDS"
"Gjertsens kebab, taksidermi og landhandel"
"Go Play Ultimate Frisbee"
"i like trains"
"is full of bees"
"is on fire"
"Mom look what i did - Alex"
"Plebs be upon you"
"this isn't real wake up"

My favourite is the "is on fire". Considering the number of players, there are going to be dozens of people whose first lab will be named "Lab is on fire" and some of them might not realize it's just a name :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This reminds me of that topic.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I actually like these names but maybe it's just me having a sense of humor.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damerell »

<NO_NAME> wrote:I actually like these names but maybe it's just me having a sense of humor.
The Bernard Mannings of this world often do think their kind of humour is the only one that exists, yes.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

muzzy wrote:My favourite is the "is on fire". Considering the number of players, there are going to be dozens of people whose first lab will be named "Lab is on fire" and some of them might not realize it's just a name :)
After well over a thousand hours i was still startled for a second or two when i realized that one of my train stops "is on fire" :P. My favourite situation was when i built a green train and the locomotive was "Emogreen". Instantly became the most famous locomotive on the server. On new maps i still usually (command-)rename my personal train to Emogreen in memorial of that moment.

I do agree that it might be prudent to go over the backer list before 1.0 and remove some of the more obvious troll attempts (and offer those ppl to chose a new one i guess?). Or include an option to not show backer names ingame, or at least somehow better mark the fact that something is a backer name, quotes? brackets?.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Sapient point, my good sir.
And I concur, they definitely are quite gay.
Any allegations to the contrary cannot be left standing!

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

OK, seriously this time.

Devs can't just remove these names from the game. It was a reward for backers who donated at least €50. (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/factorio#/)
I guess that they could get their money back but this still would be a dick move.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damerell »

<NO_NAME> wrote:Devs can't just remove these names from the game. It was a reward for backers who donated at least €50. (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/factorio#/)
Equally seriously, then; it would seem extraordinary, and rather foolish, not to have reserved the right to reject such names if they were inappropriate in some way. If that is the case (which I don't think you or I know) then of course they cannot be removed, regrettable as that might be. Otherwise the suggestion stands.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Maybe it's healthier to be of a mind set where you don't get invested in the sexual preferences of plasma lightning balls fueled by mysterious colored liquids? I'm just saiyan.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

<NO_NAME> wrote:I guess that they could get their money back but this still would be a dick move.
Another reasonable argument could be made that the dick move was submitting that name in the first place. I'm surprised the devs didn't give themselves a "we can throw your name out if you're a douche" clause.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

5thHorseman wrote:
<NO_NAME> wrote:I guess that they could get their money back but this still would be a dick move.
Another reasonable argument could be made that the dick move was submitting that name in the first place. I'm surprised the devs didn't give themselves a "we can throw your name out if you're a douche" clause.
Assumptions assumptions.
Maybe they just didn't find it offensive or didn't care because they had better things to do.
More assumptions!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

<NO_NAME> wrote:OK, seriously this time.

Devs can't just remove these names from the game. It was a reward for backers who donated at least €50. (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/factorio#/)
I guess that they could get their money back but this still would be a dick move.
Well, the pages says you get "name in the game", so i'd say it stands to reason that something like "Go Play Ultimate Frisbee" is actually a name.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

eradicator wrote:Well, the pages says you get "name in the game", so i'd say it stands to reason that something like "Go Play Ultimate Frisbee" is actually a name.
Mr. and Mrs. Frisbee must've really hated their child.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

I think these names are taken from the /factorio/data/core/backers.json file, which has a flat array of names. Clear that one out I guess?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Aeternus wrote:I think these names are taken from the /factorio/data/core/backers.json file, which has a flat array of names. Clear that one out I guess?
Hm. If the backer names were migrated into some sort of new prototype it would be quite easy to make mods that add/remove from the list. You just need to convince a dev who's willing to make that possible.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Backer names can be manually set in your factorio profile on the main website.

They are then automatically updated (I think) when the game is updated.

Honestly, there needs to be some screening process, because if you're setting your backer name to something like "GAY FACTORIO NERDS", you're clearly abusing this function.

Others though like "I like trains", nothing wrong with that, or "is on fire" is just funny. If you want to spend your money to add the possibility that a lab is named "Lab is on fire" in a game, then why not?

I only set mine recently. I set it to "Bobingabout", yes, I capitalised it, I often don't.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Minorities are not guests in gaming. They should not have to run a gauntlet of "I'm being offensive because I think it's hilarious when people are offended" bullshit in order to participate. You may be free to stand on a street corner and shout "haha gays penis bum!" like the world's most annoying 12 year old, but if you did that in a bar you'd be asked to leave. We should expect the same of our online communities.

Even if you're not being affected by this, some people are. It costs you nothing to consider them.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

This is just the typical background bullshit that gay people put up with every, single, day. I'm old enough to be bored by it now but a lifetime of having the piss taken out of you does take its toll.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This topic is detailing. I'm locking it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”