Cliff explosives enhancement-- obtain resources

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

unhott
Inserter
Inserter

Cliff explosives enhancement-- obtain resources

Post by unhott »

TL;DR
When they go boom they should leave behind resources, similar to how breaking down rocks does-- show an expected resource. Maybe even do damage to those caught in the blast.
Why ?
I don't think that cliffs add much to the game except a barrier that you can't automate at any level without mods. This would add some feeling of value to destroying the cliffs, rather than an annoying hindrance throughout the game.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Cliff explosives enhancement-- obtain resources

Post by dood »

I don't think it's possible to make small quantity pickups in this game rewarding.
It's all about having a full belt of it after all, splattering some of it all over the floor feels more like trash you now have to clean up too in addition to the cliff.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

You can disable cliffs in the options.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Typical mid-size base produces on the order of tens of thousands of both ores in an hour at the time you get cliff explosives researched. To be rewarding it should give at least production of 10 minutes, which means thousands of ore items. It would be huge item explosion and huge annoyance to collect them all and bring them to smelting process. At least that trivial way to implement reward sound more annoying than interesting to me. Do you have better ideas how to make it? Maybe it would work better if you could get for example small (but significant) amounts of U 238 for ammo before researching actual uranium mining.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Then instead of some items on the floor, a small (10-50kish) mining patch of stone? No clutter on the floor that way. Optional if you want to mine it out.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Maybe it would work better if you could get for example small (but significant) amounts of U 238 for ammo before researching actual uranium mining.
This might be nice. There aren't many resources that are valuable in small quantity, but uranium clearly sits at the top. However uranium weapon research is a pretty steep curve beyond the time where you can start mining uranium. Even if you can find U238 it will be largely useless until the time you can mass produce it. A nugget of U235 on the other hand is extremely valuable for a good chunk of the tech tree. I do think it'd be pretty silly to just drop U235 all over the place.

It might be cool to have "explodable deposits" that can't be accessed until you blow away the obstacles over them. It might be useful for example having rare aquifers that can be exploded into water sources, or locations of extra oil wells/coal/uranium and such. The water would be especially nice but the rest aren't particularly critical or anything.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I had assumed that blowing up cliffs would leave behind stone. I was surprised to discover that it leaves behind...nothing.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”