Automate all LMGs on vehicles

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Automate all LMGs on vehicles

Post by dood »

Simple, make all machineguns on cars and tanks act like gun turrets so you can park them somewhere and have them cover you.
You could also for once actually make use of the tanks cannon or the flamethrower that way because the all-overshadowing machinegun isn't something you have to select anymore.

As an added bonus, how about a train wagon that has 2 machineguns on it to put on that artillery train, now that train turrets make sense?

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Automate all LMGs on vehicles

Post by Aeternus »

Wouldn't make sense to put it on a wagon. Reloading the ammo would be troublesome - does it go to inventory, or to the ammo pile? If you're going to add guns to trains, add a machine gun on the locomotive and you can load them from the same belt/chest as the fuel one. And that's definately an idea I can get behind, if a big train runs into a cluster of biters that is too big to overrun (happens at max evolution sometimes) those biters usually chew it up completely. With some guns, trains have at least a chance to survive.

[Edit] @Below: Fully automated vehicles would benefit from fully automated defenses. I've seen it done on mods, AAV has a mobile turret that'll autotarget.
Last edited by Aeternus on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I don't see much point in vehicles shooting all on their own. That's what stationary turrets are for. However it would be nice to have a suit module that automates any vehicle turret you get inside. So for example when you're in the tank the suit module handles the machine gun while you use the cannon. Twice the firepower!

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

bobucles wrote:I don't see much point in vehicles shooting all on their own. That's what stationary turrets are for. However it would be nice to have a suit module that automates any vehicle turret you get inside. So for example when you're in the tank the suit module handles the machine gun while you use the cannon. Twice the firepower!
Unmanned vehicles shooting on their own would just be a consequence of the consistency that he machinegun automatically shoots. Always.
You could do things like have your car cover you while you place down turrets and shove ammo into them.

I disagree that this should be gated behind modular armor.
Modular armor is close to artillery which makes attack vehicles obsolete.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Uhhhhhhhhhh what

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

bobucles wrote:
Uhhhhhhhhhh what
If you have your artillery train, the days of cruising around in a tank are over.
This only gets further cemented as you approach the endgame and all its toys like nukes and destroyers.

Therefore gating this behind modular armor makes no sense.
It needs to be accessible early to be of any use.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

You mean early like... modular armor?

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

bobucles wrote:
You mean early like... modular armor?
No.
Earlier.
Read.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Modular armor comes at the same time as the tank, you know. A few solar panels, a single module, that's all you need to make such a simple device work.

Automatic vehicle guns aren't needed unless you're looking to do some cheeky tank turret creep. I'm not sure that kind of meta is something that should exist.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

bobucles wrote:Modular armor comes at the same time as the tank, you know.
Cars exist.
bobucles wrote:Automatic vehicle guns aren't needed unless you're looking to do some cheeky tank turret creep. I'm not sure that kind of meta is something that should exist.
Are you going to provide an argument other than "it shouldn't exist because it shouldn't exist"?
Because I think it should yet I said more than just that.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

There's nothing circular about it. I'm flat out saying that opening up the flood gates to turret tank creep is stupid. There's no reason to automate LMGs in empty vehicles when turrets exist, are much cheaper and do the job just fine. There is a MAYBE argument for automating the tank LMG as a way of letting the player enjoy pewpew while using their cannon. Personal lasers already work in tanks so why not the tank MG?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobucles wrote:There's nothing circular about it. I'm flat out saying that opening up the flood gates to turret tank creep is stupid. There's no reason to automate LMGs in empty vehicles when turrets exist, are much cheaper and do the job just fine. There is a MAYBE argument for automating the tank LMG as a way of letting the player enjoy pewpew while using their cannon. Personal lasers already work in tanks so why not the tank MG?
This would be actually really nice. If LMG would act as close defense while you can focus on shooting cannon in places where you want.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

bobucles wrote:I'm flat out saying that opening up the flood gates to turret tank creep is stupid.
Why?
Because it's stupid?

So you can drive your car towards a biter nest, jump out, it keeps shooting and rolling forward while you too can pick off enemies with your own machinegun.
What of it? What part of that besides you possibly losing your car is stupid?
Do you hate fun?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well there is a whole thread where people say that "Attacking biters with turrets makes all weapons pointless" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3511 , and adding a mobile turret that arrives in range already loaded would be even worse than the static turrets we have now. (Note I'm not arguing against this idea, I'm simply pointing out that there are people who think that turret creep is a serious balance issue).

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

That topic is from 2014. That was back when what, the combat shotgun was all the rage? Or was it the flamethrower already? Cute.
By now, "turret creep" has been standardized, made several magnitudes more effective, put on rails and regular turret creep can't hold a candle to nukes.

And people love it.

I see barely anyone mentioning turret creep as a "problem to be fixed" anymore and thank god for that because that period was cringe.
People were whining about turret creep being "op" here while also asking for an automated way to get rid of biter nests there.

And all that aside 1 "turret" doesn't even qualify for "turret creep".

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

dood wrote:
bobucles wrote:I'm flat out saying that opening up the flood gates to turret tank creep is stupid.
So you can drive your car towards a biter nest, jump out, it keeps shooting and rolling forward while you too can pick off enemies with your own machinegun.
What of it? What part of that besides you possibly losing your car is stupid?
Do you hate fun?
Mod request: Selfdestruct blast for vehicles. Using cars as an unguided missile is hilarious... I would do that just for the funsies!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”