Force a belt to not curve

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Force a belt to not curve

Post by silman »

There are many times there i want to inject items onto only one side of the belt and i don't have room to do the little hack where you place another belt on the other side facing inwards so when you place a belt in the middle it doesnt attach as a curved piece. Can we have an option to rotate the belt into a "forced straigt" mode where it doesn't try to attach as a curved piece?
Last edited by silman on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Force a belt not to curve

Post by boro »

Maybe this is helpful, and there's always mods with near-side inserters too.
factorio17.jpg
factorio17.jpg (635.83 KiB) Viewed 13490 times
I figure you're talking about the one in the middle?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

The only options for making a belt not curve are to have a belt either opposed or upstream when joining.

A big part of the gameplay of Factorio is making factories that work the way you want, within the rules the pieces use. Simply making new rules anytime your design doesn't work kills off most of the gameplay.

There are several mods that add pieces that may help you in your situation however.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

n9103 wrote:The only options for making a belt not curve are to have a belt either opposed or upstream when joining.

A big part of the gameplay of Factorio is making factories that work the way you want, within the rules the pieces use. Simply making new rules anytime your design doesn't work kills off most of the gameplay.

There are several mods that add pieces that may help you in your situation however.
I mean, i understand your point, but introducing messiness simply because the pieces auto-snap together when you don't want them to is kind of frustrating. It's like if the game' car only could turn right, sure you CAN make left turns within the "rules" the car has now by making three right turns, but it's just annoying especially when a car should be able to turn left.

All i am saying is that pieces should be able to not snap into curves if you don't want them to, maybe by holding alt while rotating or something?

Moreover i think near-sided inserters like the ones present in DyTech should be implemented into the basic inserters in the actual game, you should be able to click on an inserter and modify how it outputs items. There is a separate thread on this exact issue.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”