A full campaign.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

A full campaign.

Post by bobucles »

Since the devs have mentioned a campaign, I thought I'd give some feedback on it. I've been building this post for a few days so it may have some typos and be a bit messy. I hope it gives some insight into themes and ideas that can help build a campaign.

First off, some feedback on the current missions.
First steps 1-3 are pretty good. The player mines some things, smelts some things and builds a small base with them. It's very introductory but it doesn't ask for very much, just play around and try things.

New Hope 1 is also pretty good. Build a small base, build some research, and get a car. All in all the first 4 campaign missions are pretty solid and only really need fine polish.

New Hope 2 is quite frankly too big. My first time on this map took over 3 hours. It's too big a leap! The base takes a long time to set up, the scale increases too quickly and you force players to learn many topics including trains from basically scratch. To top it off the final stockpile objective is CRAZY. You'll probably beat the mission and spend an hour waiting for the final resources. Bad!

So without further ado, let's make some missions!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
New hope 2(redone). Meet the locals
Part 1: Desert map. The player comes across the ruined outpost. The previous owners mined the area too hard and got overwhelmed by the locals (a familiar story for desert maps!). When the player reaches the ruined base they declare it a total loss. The resources were stripped bare and there isn't enough to rebuild.
Objective 1(minor): Harvest the ruins. A pickaxe is provided.
- Bonus 1: Nearby there is a roboport (no power) next to a biter nest. It has some broken construction bots that will automatically deconstruct everything around them in a frenzy. Liberate the roboport, feed it power and let it deconstruct the ruins.

Part 2: There is a nearby island (or spot protected by cliffs) with a modest amount of resources. The previous owners attempted to make a last stand here but were overrun before they could finish. Thus most of the island is unfinished.
Objective 2(minor): Rebuild on the island.
- Bonus 2: A neutral roboport with some bots are here. The previous owners were in a rush and set their "build a base" setting to 999. These bots are also broken and will constantly rebuild a preset blueprint of the defense perimeter and ammo factory in a frenzy. Provide resources to the roboport to rebuild the base. A copy of the blueprints can be found nearby.

Part 3(main): We can't stay here long. The locals are too close and too angry and we can't build advanced tech. We want to find safer ground but first we need GUNS. Build up some firepower and roll out.
Objective 3: Stockpile some ammo. Easy mode will find all resources inside the walls. Normal needs more ammo and at least one easily defended ore patch near the perimeter. Hard mode needs lots of ammo and will have to push out and clear some ore patches. Bonus: The locals left a rocket launcher and some rockets. This will help clear some nests!

New Hope 3 The long road
Overall a pretty okay mission, but needs some work. IMO there should be no base building elements. It should focus entirely on teaching combat.
Map: Pretty much the same as now. Permanent daytime enabled.
Part 1: Fight to the nearby wreckage.
Bonus 1: The wreckage has some capsules and a broken modular armor. The armor is in rough shape (<1000 durability, damaged module inventory) has no upgrades and itches really bad.

Part 2(minor): Clear two more lightly defended wreckage spots. These wreckages have more capsules, 3-5 modular solar panels, some rockets and a modular shield. A quick tutorial recommends installing them in your armor.
Bonus2: I haven't had a bite to eat in a while. That lake is full of fish. They look mighty tasty... (eat fish to restore health)

Part 3(main): Assault the large nest and pull the computer from the wreckage.
Easy: The side objectives give Full strength modular armor, 4-8 solars and 2 shields. The player might accidentally waltz into the final base and win. Normal: Collect the materials from part 2 and the final assault shouldn't be too bad. hard: A slow and painful turret creep.
Mission 5 Greedy and Deep
I've reached a mountain range rich in resources. The land is too rough to build a major base, but there is a railroad and some initial work towards a mining operation. This opportunity is too good to pass up. I should finish the mine and get access to all these resources.
Map type: Very rough and lots of rocks and cliffs. Fairly large, rich ore patches. Few biters.
Part 1: Set up a minor base and research railway.
"I know I've done this before. How did it go..." Tutorial(optional): A pre built "memory" of a previous mission (first steps 3?) that produces some red/green scince. The objective is to make a few blueprints of the base. (not so subtle Hint hint grab blueprints from your old saves hint hint)
"Now I remember! It goes like this." Bonus: Return from tutorial with red/green science base mostly built and a handful of ghosts to finish off. Game Hint: use the eyedropper tool to build blueprints.

Part 2 (minor): The railroad is unfinished (single rail line with branches. All signals are good to go for mission). "It looks like sound of the construction attracted more attention than they could handle." Finish construction of the railroad to connect off the map.
Bonus: Some free "cliff explosives" can be found along the rail line. Some abandoned trains for the hard objective (1-4-1?) can be found in the wilderness.

Part 3 (main): Expand mining operations. Several invincible train outputs with trains are next to the resource deposits. Their routes are pre programmed with the mission objectives(fill up on ore/etc.). Complete the mines, fill the trains, and deliver them off the map.
Bonus: The first ore deposit has a complete train station layout. The others are naked lines with waiting trains.
Easy: Send trains from the nearly prebuilt iron patch and one easy access copper patch. Medium: In addition, build a rail line to a second iron patch and copper patch. Fill and send a train from each. Hard: the third iron patch lost its train. Find it, drive it to the station (no pickaxe cheese, this is hard!) and repeat. In addition, sort out resources from a mixed patch of coal and stone, load and send a train for each.

Mission 6 (optional) Two for one sale!
I've found a nice location with lots of open land and rich coal deposits. This area will be perfect for building an initial stronghold.
Map type: Relatively flat map with lots of coal and assorted biter bases.
Part 1: Build train stations to call in resources (mission 5) and begin smelting operations. (Either 500-1000 plates or 200+/min will work)
The player is given rail blueprints and a simple in/out rail line connects to the map edge. Once built these stations will be frequented by full ore trains, like those sent out in mission 5. Essentially an off map resource spawner fills the train and sends it out every X seconds.
Bonus1: Your starting train comes with a small supply of raw materials to start building. Smelters, ore miners, power, inserters and assemblers. This is the "player train" used in future missions and is part of the final objective.

Part 2: Develop science and secure the area.
The science objective ia achieved by exporting 100-500 red/green/military science off the map. The map expands slightly to provide the train and depot. Secure the area by clearing <number> biter nests and building <number> turrets.
Bonus 2:During the long journey the engineer was able to fully repair his broken modular armor. It contains 4-8 solar panels and 2 T1 shields.

Part 3: Fill the player train with assorted factory supplies.
The supplies are a shopping list of items that include electric poles, assemblers, belts, inserters and pump jacks. Higher difficulties include refineries, boilers, chemical plants and more. Build a mall!
Mission 7 Getting Wet
I'm reaching the limits of what I can do with metal and stone. I need to find oil to build better machinery. Data from the [computer] suggests I look around this area.
Map type: Flat, arid, lots of oil, few resources, lots of biters.
Most green tier research is finished. A single refinery is connected to storage tanks. The storage tanks are wire connected to some alarms that are pre programmed with [the objective].
Part 1 (minor): Refine oil. Store heavy oil, light oil and petroleium in the storage tanks. (small amount, ~500-1000).
Tutorial 1: A tutorial that goes into more detail about pumping and refining oil.
Bonus 1: the player train comes loaded up with mission 6 supplies and supply trains will periodically come in with iron/copper ore. A small outpost imports red/green/military science into some labs. Generally anything new that the player builds will be imported by train into the next mission.

Part 2(main): Finish research on Construction bots. "I've finally got a hang on how these things work. I think I can fix them up and make more.". Begin production (20-100) of construction bots.
Bonus 2: Technology up to solar panels, tier 1 suit modules and combat drone 1 are available. We're on mission 7 and still playing with green tech! But to be fair there is SO much green tech to work with.

Part 3(main): Map expands. Secure the area and export resources. Exports include some blue science (~100) on the science train and crude oil at the provided station. Securing the area means clearing some nests and building turrets.
Bonus 3: A lot of military tech is unlocked, including rocket launchers and Flamethrower turrets. Learn the joy of all cleansing fire.

Mission 8(bonus) Sitting it out
Who ever thought that a desert could have such severe flash floods? I've been swept away and landed on a small island in brutal coastal waters. Help me bots!
Map type: Player is locked on an island with bare minimum supplies. Map is rich in resources.
This is the token meme mission. It's all about using the remote map and building with bots.
Part 1: Reclaim the mainland. You start with power, roboports, construction bots and a ready made blueprint for a yellow storage chest train outpost. Connect your roboports to the mainland and connect the train outpost to the rail line objective.
Bonus 1: A quick tutorial about using construction bots for long distance building. You need storage chests and remote radars. Roboports need to have orange connections to each other and bots can reach all the way out to green zone.

Part 2 (main): Your personal train shows up with a pile of assemblers, belts and other goodies. Use bots and blueprints to build a full sized green base with these supplies. Research landfill and have your bots rescue you from the island.
bonus 2: A nearby island has a cache of blueprints, but it's is JUST out of reach. Maybe the deconstruction planner can help? (hint: it can). Surely there must be an easier method of having bots move items around! (hint: not yet)

Part 3(main): Map expands. Another piece of the ship computer is on an island, but some biters got swept out to sea! Clear a way to the computer piece by any means.

Mission 9 bright ideas
I found an optimal location for the launch site and progress to the site is progressing smoothly, but my whole supply chain is starving on electricity. A deep scan found more ship pieces and some Uranium deposits nearby. If I can increase my energy supply there won't be any further obstacles to building the rocket.
Map type: Assorted resources and lots of uranium.
Provided: A 1x1 reactor is already built and produces a steady 40MW. The player has a small supply of fuel cells (10-20).

Part 1 (main):: The few fuel cells that survived the crash won't last long. I need to produce more. Begin mining Uranium and producing more fuel cells (~10).
Tutorial: Nuclear fuel cells are always burning! A reactor can provide energy long after a full cell is depleted and can take some time to provide full energy again.
Bonus 1: Some centrifuges are provided. A few biter nests surround a "precious rock" that contains lots of (5+) U-235.

Part 2 (main): Upgrade the reactor to a 1x2 design.
Tutorial: Nuclear reactors and adjacency bonuses
Bonus 2: A small pile of heat pipes, steam engines and heat exchangers are provided. Among the ship's wreckage is a [storage database], which provides the ~500 red circuits to construct reactor 2.

Part 3 (main): Connect the reactor to your main grid (off map, presumably to all the other missions you did). It needs to provide a stable [~100MW] output for [5] minutes to be considered good.
A 1x2 reactor produces 160MW, so even an imperfect build should be able to succeed.
Hard: Provide even higher energy output. A 2x2 reactor and additional reactor parts may be needed.
Mission 10 final stretch
This location was the site of a major launch facility, but most of it is run down and over run. With my supply chain at full strength I can clear out the infestation and get this facility back online in no time.
Map type: A large pre built facility that is filled with biters. The player starts at the fringe.
Many mid tier resources are hauled in by train, but there are still copper and iron patches to supply low tier items.

Part 1: Liberate the launch facility from the biters. "The deepest part of the facility is infested with the worst trouble I've seen yet. It'll take a lot of firepower to clear this out."
Bonus: A nearby ruined facility contains an experimental fusion reactor. Liberate it and use it to bring your Power armor MK1(plus 1 exo suit, 2 shields, 1 battery and one PLD) to full strength.

Part 2: Finish the base and produce high tech science.
Bonus: The remaining sciences are hauled in from off map by train. Reconnect the train stations to recieve shipments of steel, green circuits and sulfur.

Part 3: Liftoff! complete the rocket and launch.
Bonus: Logistic bots are fully unlocked and a simple setup to produce a few high tech items are provided. Biter attacks will be frequent and massive. Wait, that's not a bonus!

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: A full campaign.

Post by QGamer »

Wow. You have really thought this through a lot.
I read your entire post and just....wow.
I like your idea of having each mission build upon the missions before it. The current campaigns don't do that (or at least they didn't when I last played them).
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Thanks! The problem with making a lot of missions is that you stick the player with rebuilding a ton of stuff from scratch. The purpose of the train network is to avoid that. Problems that players solve in one mission stay solved and the train system brings the benefits into the next mission area. This way players don't have to keep repeating the solutions they have already done before they can tackle the new obstacles.

The actual maps don't HAVE to be linked for real. Instead the new mission simply has an item spawner that brings in trains with raw goods. These free items match the objectives of the previous mission, creating an illusion that the player is constantly building a larger factory as they continue. Since the previous missions aren't real it also avoids multi-map issues that might pop up such as:
- Running out of resources for real
- Previous mission doesn't have enough throughput to satisfy current mission
- Previous mission defense grids fails and everything gets eaten
It'd be pretty tragic to reach the final mission and have all your previous bases blowed up!

All the missions have a common link through the train system, so the full campaign can be displayed as a larger campaign map. As previous missions get solved they open up more parts of the campaign map until the final mission. It might look something like this, with the player moving into new areas for new missions.

Isn't that a purrty sight!
Last edited by bobucles on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I'm just slightly curious as to what mission 4 is?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I'm working on the assumption that First steps 1, 2, 3 and New hope 1 are the first 4 missions. They provide a nice starting tutorial and the New Hope story literally picks up where the First Steps tutorial ends.

New hope 2 gets trimmed down to make it faster. New Hope 3 gets the crafting dropped in favor of being a pure combat tutorial. New hope 4 gets cut because the campaign is doing trains, not planes. In fact I'm pretty REALLY bad at counting and the Greedy&Deep mission would actually be mission 6. 7 Oops! :lol:

You'll notice that the planet has a lot of existing infrastructure, even if it is damaged or beat up. I chose this story path because it gives more options for constructing missions and providing the player with STUFF. If the planet was totally barren then you'd be playing across a bunch of completely blank maps and have to keep building everything from scratch. That's too much busy work!

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

bobucles wrote:You'll notice that the planet has a lot of existing infrastructure, even if it is damaged or beat up. I chose this story path because it gives more options for constructing missions and providing the player with STUFF. If the planet was totally barren then you'd be playing across a bunch of completely blank maps and have to keep building everything from scratch. That's too much busy work!
Also, if the player had to start from scratch each time, it would be too much like the freeplay.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Kinson25
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kinson25 »

You did a great job putting this together. I am sure the devs will use some of your ideas.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Thanks! I'd like to point out that the missions try to be simple and focus on one or two challenges.So for the first new mission that replaces New Hope 2 (meet the locals) the main concept is little more than building under pressure. The map is pretty dangerous but you are given a strong holdout to build guns, ammo and get out of dodge.

Long Road is focused on teaching combat and introducing modular armor.

Greedy/Deep is about building mines and learning how to establish trains.

Two for one sale takes that supply and builds a shopping mall full of useful recipes.

Getting Wet goes straight into oil production.

Sitting it out is all about bots and remote control.

Bright Ideas is about uranium and nuclear power.

Lastly, Final stretch ties together everything that you built in previous missions to build the rocket.

Each mission is meant to be a stepping stone and show off Factorio one bite at a time. I didn't touch on some things like circuit networks or the ultimate tech. Circuits are a bit too niche to expect from players and you don't need the ultimate tech to really build a rocket. The final mission is also pretty huge and maybe it should be a 2 parter or something like that.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

This is *beautiful*.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

so I was thinking of ways to make the final mission a bit less overwhelming. I think the best way is to revisit the mall. Behold the final mission -1:

Megamall
Map: The same as two-for-one sale, except bigger. A factory comprising the previous mission's objectives is already finished and has some roboport coverage, but has some minor damage. Internal coal supply is nearly tapped out but a strong energy supply is provided from Bright Ideas. Ore/stone supply from Greedy+Deep is still strong and oil supply from "getting wet" is provided. A few outside coal patches are heavily defended so you don't soft lock on plastic production.

Part1: (minor) Refortify the base and upgrade the smelters to electric furnaces
The biters grew much larger than I ever anticipated and managed to break through a few defense lines. My smelters are also nearly out of coal. Maybe electric furnaces will help?
Bonus 1: This is the shopping mall map, so a vast majority of items are already automated and a vast majority of resources flow in from the other missions. Laser turrets are unlocked.

Part 2: Use the new logistic bots to build even more things
I had a lot of time to think on that island(sitting it out) and have developed a new bot type that can move items like a flying conveyor. Automate higher tech items like T3 assemblers, substations and bots.
Tutorial: Logistic bots, player logistic slots, player trash slots, using requester chests, etc.
Bonus 2: Logistic bots unlocked, and a simple setup is provided. Logi bots are good enough!

Part 3: Export items in preparation for the final mission.
The rocket will require a vast quantity of items to complete. I should begin construction of some items like Rocket Control Units right away.
Note: RCUs are the most technically demanding component and this mission gives the best infrastructure to build them. That way the final mission can focus on the simpler Rocket Fuel and LDS recipes for objectives.
Bonus3: Rocket components are already researched. The silo can't be built as it's provided in the final mission.

This changes the campaign map slightly so here's a new map:
factorio campaign map.jpg
factorio campaign map.jpg (195.72 KiB) Viewed 12269 times

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

If there was a community effort to produce this set of scenarios, I would contribute to it. Put it on github, get PRs!

Tiggy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tiggy »

I would absolutely love to get involved, but more than that - I'd love if there was any kind of continuing official campaign. I loved the campaign that's there and think it has endless potential, though the game needs more monsters with better AI too.

I have a really cool map I'm working on as well where all the resources are split up and you need to use trains to get to them while monsters take over the routes. I'm willing to donate it to either you guys or the official campaign, though right now it's only half done.

magicgive
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by magicgive »

Please tell me somebody will make this, if not I could help.

GreenFlagCZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GreenFlagCZ »

The typos is nice. But no-one answered your call :D. But there is always Hope and I bring it to you. :D

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Story-Missions

Sometimes, YOU must take a step and finish what you started.

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

wow, nice one, GreenFlagCZ. Need to check it out
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”