Renewable Sources of Power

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Bobby_Joe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Renewable Sources of Power

Post by Bobby_Joe »

TL;DR
New renewable sources of power, such as wind, hydroelectric, and geothermal.

What?
New sources of power in the game, such as the aforementioned cleaner sources. Wind power would utilize a new feature called "Wind" and would have a small and large turbine, Small Turbine consisting of parts such as a Body Unit x1 (Steel Plating and Copper Plating), Blades x3 (Iron Plating and Plastic), Turbine Control Unit x1 (Copper Wire, Advanced Circuit, and Iron Plating), Rotor (Copper Wire, Electronic Circuit, and Plastic), and Magnet x1 (Iron Plating and Copper Wire), while the Large Turbine simply doubles Magnets and Blades, and triples Body Units. (Body Unit x3, Blades x6, Turbine Control Unit x1, and Magnet x2). Hydroelectric power would utilize bodies of water, and would have a Hydroelectric Water Wheel (Unconfirmed name) that consists of one Turbine Control Unit (Copper Wire, Advanced Circuit, and Iron Plating), Water Wheel (Steel Plating, Iron Stick), Rotor (Copper Wire, Electronic Circuit, and Plastic), and Housing (Iron Plating). Geothermal energy would utilize a new feature called "Hot Pocket". A hot pocket contains steam that would be harvested by a Collector Pipe (Pipe and Pipe To Ground) connected to a Steam Engine with regular piping.
Why?
More efficient and environmentally clean sources of power would add a slightly more peaceful side to the game, where enemies do not attack nearly as frequently due to the reduction in pollution. Some people may say that takes part of the fun out of the game, but I feel as though the goal of the game is to build a factory, not constantly fight for your life with Biters and Spitters.
Additional Notes
- I have left number of materials needed for creating each of the new products blank to encourage users, and possibly developers, to come up with their own ideas on
production.
- A possible way of displaying these items in the crafting inventory is to create a separate tab for Energy, where Solar Panels, Pumps, Steam Engines, Boilers, and other energy production-related items will be found.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Renewable Sources of Power

Post by Koub »

Hi,

These suggestions have been made, numerous times. Search helps a lot finding existing suggestions made over the few years Factorio has been in development :)

search.php?keywords=geothermal&terms=al ... mit=Search
search.php?keywords=hydroelectric&terms ... mit=Search
search.php?keywords=wind+turbine&terms= ... mit=Search

Now, just in case it would suit you, there are mods providing what you ask for :

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Wind_Turbine%20V16
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Geothermal
And I'd be surprised if there were not fancy power generation in Bob's power :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”