Introduce new speed run option(s)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Introduce new speed run option(s)

Post by Factory Lobster »

I think it would be interesting to have a check box at map creation titled something like "enable speed run achievements," which when checked would disable blueprints, only allow randomized map conditions within certain allowed parameters, and have other restrictions to control trivializing the attempt. This would be the only way to obtain said achievements.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Introduce new speed run option(s)

Post by Hannu »

Factory Lobster wrote:I think it would be interesting to have a check box at map creation titled something like "enable speed run achievements," which when checked would disable blueprints, only allow randomized map conditions within certain allowed parameters, and have other restrictions to control trivializing the attempt. This would be the only way to obtain said achievements.
As far as I know, speed run results are intended to be comparable. Random map would not fit with comparable results. Why not some standardized map which would be same for all players?

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

Sure, include a standard speed run map also. Or series of maps. I'm talking about personal achievements, but it could be nice to have in-game options for speed runners who want to compete with other players.

dragontamer5788
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dragontamer5788 »

But the speed running community itself has so many rules. From Any% runs, to Axe% (first to get Steel Axe wins), to even Tracks% (first to get a train on track wins). Honestly, this seems more like a Speed Running community thing. The speed running community has the tools needed to make consistent runs (share a map-exchange string). I don't think it really makes sense to start doing this until the game reaches maturity however. Things like Cliffs or Splitter / compression changes in 0.16 really have major effects on builds.

Really, the #1 thing the speedrunning community needs is version "1.0" to be released. Otherwise, the settings seem good enough for the speedrunning community.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

A custom scenario (or scenario pack) seems much more appropriate for making speed runs comparable, and is already possible with the current tools available. I've never seen any game that has explicit built-in support for even one type of speed-run and there are many types as has been mentioned, and just deciding on which types to support and which ones not would already consume a large amount of development time that could otherwise be spent on things that benefit everyone. The only thing some games have is a built-in timer, and factorio already has that, including the possibility to display a "final time" screen.

So the only thing you need is a good coder who's interested in the speed run community ;)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”