indicator for mines that ran out of deposits

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Depleted mines: Status icon

Post by MeduSalem »

+1 on the depleted status Icon.

5thHorseman wrote:I really like how AutoDeconstruct does it, marking them for destruction when done. Then you can see the X on them and grab them, or later in the game bots just take care of it for you. If the base game did this I'd be quite happy.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/mindmix/AutoDeconstruct
While in theory it would be nice to have, it wouldn't mark the rest of the infrastructure (like chests/belts/poles, etc) for deconstruction, hence why you would still need to manually check up on it.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

MeduSalem wrote:While in theory it would be nice to have, it wouldn't mark the rest of the infrastructure (like chests/belts/poles, etc) for deconstruction, hence why you would still need to manually check up on it.
True, and in that case an alert is better I suppose. I hate alerts though and having one every time a miner runs out anywhere in my base might drive me bonkers.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

You can try out YARM If you play with mods.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/YARM

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I use Bottleneck mod and it shows depleted mines. I can't live without it now but if I would have to I would be really grateful having depleted status icon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Btw programable speakers can not only play a sound, it can also show an alert with text aside the toolbelt.

View unread Posts

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

I have a much better idea...

The deconstruction planner has filters for all kinds of things that aren't exactly particular items. You can deconstruct tiles, or entity ghosts or any number of other things that are not exactly a particular kind of thing.

Why not just allow a deconstruction planner filter that lets you filter out exhausted miners? I think that's a solution that would be fairly easy to implement, and fit fairly well with the rest of the game.

My main complaint is that hunting through all the miners to find the depleted ones is a huge pain. Having a nice visible indicator would make this a bit easier, but simply being able to select them with a deconstruction filter would be even better. Most of the time the reason I care is because I want to deconstruct them.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Why not just allow a deconstruction planner filter that lets you filter out exhausted miners?
Simple and gets straight to the point. Some mods do this automatically but in vanilla you have to hunt and peck for exhausted mines.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Yes with mods all gets easier...
Last edited by steinio on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View unread Posts

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

If you use the bottleneck mod, depleted miners will be marked red so it's easy to see them.
Keep in mind, you don't need to constantly be shaving off inactive miners.
It's perfectly fine to just paint over an ore field with miners and only deconstruct them once fully mined.
Removing inactive miners is pure OCD satisfaction.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

dood wrote:It's perfectly fine to just paint over an ore field with miners and only deconstruct them once fully mined.
It is true that depleted miners don't consume resources. However, I like to move my mining drills from depleted areas to fresh areas. It prevents me from having to craft new miners.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

Are we talking about mines or miners?

Miners become inactive all the time. I would not want to choose between having constantly flashing icons on my map and dedicating all my time micromanaging miners.
If you are only talking about miners in the regular (not map) view then sure.

Mines show depletion already. They turn from the ore color to the ground color. If you see mines on your map but without the or color underneath and no numbers showing up when hovering over then that means the mine is depleted. If you use the map icons to tag the mine when constructed with the original count you can also read how close a mine is to being depleted by hovering your mouse over it.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

dood wrote:Removing inactive miners is pure OCD satisfaction.
In your first expansion phase modules are very expensive, so saving modules by removing those that aren't contributing is not just ocd.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

MeduSalem wrote:+1 on the depleted status Icon.

5thHorseman wrote:I really like how AutoDeconstruct does it, marking them for destruction when done. Then you can see the X on them and grab them, or later in the game bots just take care of it for you. If the base game did this I'd be quite happy.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/mindmix/AutoDeconstruct
While in theory it would be nice to have, it wouldn't mark the rest of the infrastructure (like chests/belts/poles, etc) for deconstruction, hence why you would still need to manually check up on it.
Actually the AutoDeconstruct mod can deconstruct buffer chests too. Any container the miner empties into is marked for deconstruction too.

Which is rather bad if you fill a wrehouse with a miner to get an ore patch out of the way and then suddenly all your construction bots run of to move 50k iron ore to the storage warehouse.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

This would be a nice addition.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

It's much better to just learn to let the empty miners be, they don't do any harm. Just clean up the whole patch when it's empty.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

QGamer wrote:
dood wrote:It's perfectly fine to just paint over an ore field with miners and only deconstruct them once fully mined.
It is true that depleted miners don't consume resources. However, I like to move my mining drills from depleted areas to fresh areas. It prevents me from having to craft new miners.
Doesn't matter if you have 1 ore patch worth of miners in storage.
One expansion later, they're gone anyway and hey, that time you didn't need to wait for them to be crafted too.

I understand why you would pick up inactive miners tho. They are not pretty. It must be pretty.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

dood wrote: Doesn't matter if you have 1 ore patch worth of miners in storage.
One expansion later, they're gone anyway and hey, that time you didn't need to wait for them to be crafted too.

I understand why you would pick up inactive miners tho. They are not pretty. It must be pretty.
Because I really want the space the patch is occupying, I've put a ton of speed modules in the miners. I haven't beaconed them yet, but if I do, I want to move the beacons on a regular basis. Modules are expensive. Beacons need to be moved. There are a lot of use-cases for picking up inactive miners that have nothing to do with attractiveness.

Wizard Marcos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wizard Marcos »

Good news, you can connect to the circuit network and it outputs the amount of resources left in the whole patch. So you can just wire that to a speaker and have and alert when the patch is depleted.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Wizard Marcos wrote:Good news, you can connect to the circuit network and it outputs the amount of resources left in the whole patch. So you can just wire that to a speaker and have and alert when the patch is depleted.
Oh
my god.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Wizard Marcos wrote:Good news, you can connect to the circuit network and it outputs the amount of resources left in the whole patch. So you can just wire that to a speaker and have and alert when the patch is depleted.
One thing that can happen is that patches become 'disconnected' when being mined. Basically if, somehow, a wide enough strip through the middle of a patch is depleted it becomes two patches. This can mess with this particular tactic. Though, it will at least tell you when one of the disconnected patches (whichever it happened to be connected to a miner that it was part of) becomes empty, so it doesn't fail in a way that leaves you not being alerted.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”