Sunlight detector

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

hanli427
Inserter
Inserter

Sunlight detector

Post by hanli427 »

I would like to see a sunlight detector for circuit networks. Easiest might be to have a circuit network output from the solar panels, that provides its energy output as a percentage. That way you could use it to detect whether the sun is up. Perhaps better is a dedicated component, incase you think the solar panel is too large, if all you want is a detector. Either way it can't be a difficult thing to add.

The reason that I want this is so that I can control coal and nuclear plant to turn on and off at different accumulator charge depending on if it is day or night. I already base an S/R latch on accumulator charge, but I also want a sunlight condition as I don't want coal and nuclear to recharge the accumulators during the day, the solar panels can do that then. Perhaps other people can think of other uses as well.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Sunlight detector

Post by impetus maximus »

maybe this will work for you.
Day_Timer.png
Day_Timer.png (49.83 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
blueprint string
place it at night when solar is producing 0 power, and don't connect the pole to the electric network.
when the sun comes up it will start to charge the accumulator, which will trigger the 25000 count (ticks in a day) timer.
T signal at dawn will be 0ish on the timer, then around 18,000(?) when it starts to get dark. adjust your numbers as needed.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Game-day

keep this accumulator separate from your electric network, so it will keep time even in a brown/black out.

hope this helps.

Atlas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Atlas »

Maybe combinator clock would be better. Something that would read the current game time and send it to circuit network. It may have broader usage.

hanli427
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hanli427 »

impetus maximus wrote:maybe this will work for you.
Day_Timer.png
place it at night when solar is producing 0 power, and don't connect the pole to the electric network.
when the sun comes up it will start to charge the accumulator, which will trigger the 25000 count (ticks in a day) timer.
T signal at dawn will be 0ish on the timer, then around 18,000(?) when it starts to get dark. adjust your numbers as needed.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Game-day

keep this accumulator separate from your electric network, so it will keep time even in a brown/black out.

hope this helps.
Guess it could work, it would work for my purposes, but not really a sunlight detector, but rather a clock. It would have a lot more uses as well, as a clock. But for certain purposes a straight up sunlight detector would still be simpler, and a more obvious solution. And how hard would it be to put an output to the circuit network for the solar panel.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”