Disable Newly Placed Logistic Storage Chests

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PC1286
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Disable Newly Placed Logistic Storage Chests

Post by PC1286 »

It would be great if logistic storage chests could be enabled /disabled. This would allow us to add filters to it before robots just started bringing everything to it. I guess a work around is to just drop the chest outside the network and make a blueprint.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Disable Newly Placed Logistic Storage Chests

Post by Tekky »

This is similar to the problem of splitters functioning immediately, before you have a chance to set a filter on the splitter.

I believe the best solution to these problems would be to make it generally possible for all entities in the game to be disabled. I really like how this is done in the game Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal. There, you can disable entities at will at the press of a button. In Factorio, such a system would be very useful. For example, it would no longer be necessary to rotate an inserter or a pump if you want to disable it.

In order to solve the issue of logistic chests and splitters, it would have to be possible to build an entity in disabled mode, so that it only becomes active when you explicitly enable it. That way, you would be able to configure the entity before it goes active.

I believe the best way to make players be able to build entities in disabled mode would be to make players hold a specific button while building.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

You can temporarily and quickly disable inserters and pumps by connecting it to Logistic Network with no conditions set or outside network range (if You are not using this feature already in that inserter) - You can even copy this "disabled" state to other nearby inserters or blueprint it in that state...

This do not work with logistic chests however, and such feature (already present in the game, so adding it to should would not be big problem) will solve this problem - just "disconnect" box from network, set filters, and reconnect it again...

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

This would be very irritating to have to enable each placed logistic chests.
Even bigger problem is where you are placing such chest via construction robots, in an outpost which is 5 minutes from where that player is.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

<NO_NAME> wrote:This would be very irritating to have to enable each placed logistic chests.
Even bigger problem is where you are placing such chest via construction robots, in an outpost which is 5 minutes from where that player is.
You can blueprint one disconnected chest, then place disconnected ghost, so bots will build already disabled chests...

You can also copy settings of such chest and run-and-paste that settings to other chests, or the one You just placed.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

mp0011 wrote:
<NO_NAME> wrote:This would be very irritating to have to enable each placed logistic chests.
You can blueprint one disconnected chest, then place disconnected ghost, so bots will build already disabled chests...

You can also copy settings of such chest and run-and-paste that settings to other chests, or the one You just placed.
Blueprinting chest or copying setting is much more work than normal placing. It would be just tedious.

Why does even filling storage chests with random stuff is such a big problem? That's the point of these chests. Sure, you sometimes want to reserve some for something particular but this is a rare case. You can as well blueprint that filtered chest, not inventing a whole new game mechanics that with interfere with normal usage of the chest.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

PC1286
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PC1286 »

<NO_NAME> wrote:
mp0011 wrote:

Blueprinting chest or copying setting is much more work than normal placing. It would be just tedious.

Why does even filling storage chests with random stuff is such a big problem? That's the point of these chests. Sure, you sometimes want to reserve some for something particular but this is a rare case. You can as well blueprint that filtered chest, not inventing a whole new game mechanics that with interfere with normal usage of the chest.
Organization

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”