Automatically landfill when placing blueprints/ghosts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Automatically landfill when placing blueprints/ghosts

Post by mrvn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am

Does that add landfill below/instead of other tiles? E.g. below stone paths.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:40 am

Like the front page says, it nukes tiles. Blame the game, not the mod.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am

The mods description sounds like it is destructive to the blueprint. But maybe that's just bad description. Have to try this.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:06 am

Blueprints can only store one type of tile, either concrete or landfill.
Mods that take the blueprint to add landfill will always result in two blueprints that have to be placed. Once for landfill and then for tiles from the original bp.

The problem with more elegant solutions is lack of support through base mechanics.
Tiles creating land underneath them are placable on water, but not over land.
Allowing placement of concrete without filling land underneath creates death traps, Creative Mode allows this. Removing his concrete, e.g. upgrading from concrete to reinforced concrete, destroys entities on top and kills player characters.

Unless we get concrete to implicitly place landfill as base game mechanic, as mrvn wanted in this threads op, the double blueprint approach is the best workaround.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 am

I don't mind placing 2 blueprints. Just as long as it doesn't destroy the original when making the landfill blueprint. Ideally it would just be a hotkey to place the landfill for a blueprint without actually creating a second permanent blueprint at all.

I actually think it's best if you place all the landfill first without any of the entities. Then you can run around and place the landfill without anything getting in the way. If the entities where added from the start then they would block the path a lot of the time.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 am

I haven't been playing recently, (I'm been playing other games atm), so my memory of the current vanilla 0.17 mechanics is a little fuzzy. (From memory early in 0.17, placing blueprint over water would queue landfill, but I think that was reverted).

Would anything break in vanilla if the devs changed force placing a blueprint over water to automatically place (ghost) landfill tiles, with the structures also queued to be placed on top?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:40 am

Zavian wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 am
I haven't been playing recently, (I'm been playing other games atm), so my memory of the current vanilla 0.17 mechanics is a little fuzzy. (From memory early in 0.17, placing blueprint over water would queue landfill, but I think that was reverted).

Would anything break in vanilla if the devs changed force placing a blueprint over water to automatically place (ghost) landfill tiles, with the structures also queued to be placed on top?
That's what we are requesting they do.

Nothing should break. But currently you can't place a ghost of an entity on water even if it has ghost landfill. And you can only have one tile ghost at a time. So landfill + cement is impossible. It will always be a two pass process. Three passes if you have an entity that e.g. can only be build on cement.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”