Production Statistics for a Selected Area

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Production Statistics for a Selected Area

Post by shadetheartist »

I'd love to be able to highlight & save a portion of my base to a group in the production statistics area.

That way i could see

Global Statistics:
(this is what exists currently)

Science 1:
10 x Factory Level 2 - Science Pack 1
1 x Factory Level 1 - Gear

Production:
Science Pack 1: 1/s
Gear: 1/s

Consumption:
Iron Plate: 2/s
Copper Plate: 1/s

And then more groups as defined my selection and saved with a name. I envision creating parts of the base & these production stat groupings for the different sciences, the output of certain smelting setups, mines.

This would give a more granular set of info that i see as super helpful for diagnostic purposes.

EpicPartyGuy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Production Statistics for a Selected Area

Post by EpicPartyGuy »

I am in massive favor of this.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

This would be a massive code change to the game requiring you to assign every entity to a specific group to track its statistics.
I do find it really useful to the game but due to share complexity of implementation I highly doubt devs will bother to implement it till release.

As a workaround I do usually put such base fragments to the test on my creative mode map with only it being online.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I had a whole big reply written to this.
Considering I wrote the above sentence, you can guess what happened.
This is basically a quick abstract.

Most machines probably add to a global variable when they produce an item (or some heavily optimized variant thereof). Doing this for an area might be somewhat feasible, but only for items crafted after you select the area: somehow also add the items produced by these machines to a local variable. However, if you want to see production statistics for before you mark the area, you would have to store every type of item that has been produced on that tile, the amount of each, and the locations of each building ever placed on that tile. Basically, it's like the suggestion to raise the tile count limit so that mods could add more tiles, just about 200x worse and very difficult to implement.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I think it would be enough and relatively easy if the "selected Area" would be the "Logistic Network" area it is located in.

That area is rather easily to detect as the logistic area is relatively static and it only needs to be detected when the area changes.

So it would be basically updating a production statistics attached to a logistic network ID.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

MeduSalem wrote:I think it would be enough and relatively easy if the "selected Area" would be the "Logistic Network" area it is located in.

That area is rather easily to detect as the logistic area is relatively static and it only needs to be detected when the area changes.

So it would be basically updating a production statistics attached to a logistic network ID.
The problem is that actual production entities do not join logistic network currently. And even if they could there would definitely be a marginal problem with 3x3 entities like assembler of which network to join if you put it right between logistic networks. And if assemblers will join logistic networks should their input/output buffers count towards logistic network content or not? Really many questions out there.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

PacifyerGrey wrote:The problem is that actual production entities do not join logistic network currently. And even if they could there would definitely be a marginal problem with 3x3 entities like assembler of which network to join if you put it right between logistic networks. And if assemblers will join logistic networks should their input/output buffers count towards logistic network content or not? Really many questions out there.
As if adding that feature would be such a problem if other entities have been added as well.

I would say it could count to all 4 possible (if only the corner of each logistic network touches the assembler) or only to 1. If you want to measure the statistics so badly then you shouldn't be placing the assembler in between seperate networks anyway.

Why should their input/output buffers count towards logistic network content? They only use the ID of the logistic network to know which local production statistics to add towards.

Adding logistic network conditions or something to the assembler is an entirely different topic.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”