Allow Inserters to take fuel from trains again

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Allow Inserters to take fuel from trains again

Post by ikarikeiji »

Suggestion: allow all inserters, not just filter ones, to remove fuel from locomotives, if and only if there is at least one full fuel slot (other than the one being removed from).

This would allow daisy chaining, and automatic fuel type changes, while never leaving a loco with less than one full stack of one kind of fuel.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

ikarikeiji wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Suggestion: allow all inserters, not just filter ones, to remove fuel from locomotives, if and only if there is at least one full fuel slot (other than the one being removed from).

This would allow daisy chaining, and automatic fuel type changes, while never leaving a loco with less than one full stack of one kind of fuel.
That is getting complicated. How do you teach that mechanic to new players?

Isn't simpler to just add a proper fuel source (eg another station) to your setup.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

So... while I agree that it'd be nice to be able to pull fuel from engines, I feel like this is a '6 of 1, half-dozen of another' situation. The game still has systems in place that effectively allow you to do what you want to using multiple different methods. A single fuel train would have no problem providing fuel for dozens of outposts. It can be setup to use existing stations using smart inserters and filtering splitters to pull fuel and route it to a chest until said chest is full. You could set it up using a separate station and normal inserters. There are a number of different ways to make this function. Yeah... it's arguably not ideal... but I could also make the argument: that's the point. Sometimes there are intentional limitations put in there. Or there are safeties put in place to prevent bigger issues that you have to work around. Take the challenge, work around it.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Zavian wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 pm
ikarikeiji wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm

That is getting complicated. How do you teach that mechanic to new players?

Isn't simpler to just add a proper fuel source (eg another station) to your setup.
How do you teach it? You don't. New players don't try to pull fuel out of locomotives, so it won't be a problem for them. And if it happens by accident, then that train is not left unable to move, and maybe the user will become curious. While for advanced users, who know what they are doing, the rule works for all use cases and is consistent, solving the problem without adding any new gui or entities etc.

Saying add a proper fuel source is missing the point. That's what we all have to do already. I have never used this kind of daisy chaining myself but I can see the appeal to those who want to use it. This solution adds another possible strategy for players, without interfering with existing setups.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

It still seems pretty arbitrary that inserters always do the work that they're supposed to do, except for this one scenario. Wouldn't it be better to put in some QOL tweaks that make sure trains never get into this situation in the first place? For example if you right click a 2-4-2 train and left click a stop it goes "Cool. I only work for 2-4-2 trains. Let's filter my option out for any other train size."

Anyway thanks to the power of splitters and filter inserters it's not a big deal to clean out a belt. If there were an option to make bots pull arbitrary item types off a belt, then players could automatically clean up any level of disgusting contamination in their factory.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Regardless of the results of this conversation, +1 to the idea of bots being able to be told to fetch specific items off the ground (even off belts) with decon planners.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Can inserter take fuel from locomotives when you rotate it?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

darkfrei wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 pm
Can inserter take fuel from locomotives when you rotate it?
You mean like when it insert fuel instead?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Achmed
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Achmed »

I think having the ability to specify if the inserter can remove items from fuel slots if the insertver is connected to the circuit network, as this is the scenario where it would be needed and helps new players from fouling there train stations with fuel in there ore belts. i just spent 3 hours working on the same idea OP had to finish it and discover that i cany remove the fuel from the train! :x

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

+1 to allowing this in limited situations, like via circuit signal or filter inserters only, etc.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

sepharim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sepharim »

-1. I'm completely with the devs and mod opinion. It's only a QoL Laziness option for a good routing of items. I know it could help in exchanging the fuel to the new fuel type, but it has to many side problems you need to define and make it a complicated thing.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

sepharim wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm
-1. I'm completely with the devs and mod opinion. It's only a QoL Laziness option for a good routing of items. I know it could help in exchanging the fuel to the new fuel type, but it has to many side problems you need to define and make it a complicated thing.
Isn't playing Factorio QoL laziness? :)

With some of the suggestions, like enabling it with circuitry, wouldn't be harmful to anyone who doesn't totally intend to do this. So there isn't really a reason not to do it, aside from dev time, which I'm not sure how much it would be, but it seems relatively simple (restoring old behaviour, just conditionally), and there seem to be quite a few people who want it.

WhatheWorld
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatheWorld »

does anyone know if there is a mod that will allow inserters to pull from trains or know if it is even possible to a mod to allow it?
Author of Personal Teleporter

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

No, there isn’t and I think for the reasons and unclear side-effects mentioned in this thread. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

WhatheWorld wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:48 pm
does anyone know if there is a mod that will allow inserters to pull from trains or know if it is even possible to a mod to allow it?
I've made the extractor-inserter, that can take items from any inventory of any entity in the game. But it works somehow unstable with the locomotives.

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

-1, i see no reason to change this for the niche use-case of upgrading a trains fuel.
Eventually that fuel will be replaced with the newer/better fuel over time so what's the issue?

Secondly,
Optera wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am
in older builds we could daisy chain boilers.
You can still do this.

WhatheWorld
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatheWorld »

darkfrei wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:03 am
WhatheWorld wrote:
I've made the extractor-inserter, that can take items from any inventory of any entity in the game. But it works somehow unstable with the locomotives.
can you share how you did it?
Author of Personal Teleporter

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

WhatheWorld wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:29 pm
can you share how you did it?
It was based on this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BurntExtractor
But there was iterator by all inventories, not just a burnt_result inventory.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

WhatheWorld wrote:
Have a look at mods.factorio.com/mod/InserterFuelLeech.The only limitation is that the targeted entity can't be a chest but must have a fuel slot as well.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged three topics about enabling inserters to remove fuel from locomotives.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”